• Bushnell Elite 6500 Tactical 2.5x16-42

Votes: 15 25.0%
  • Nikon Monarch X 4x16 - 50

Votes: 14 23.3%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 26 43.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
My vote is for the Sightron SIII. I have the 6x24x50 LRMD and it's a nice scope. It tracks perfectly, is repeatable, perfect box test, and good quality glass. Spot on scope with great lifetime warranty. It's a SFP, I haven't seen an uption for a FFP.

I just bought a Vortex, and I absolutely love it. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another one. With that said, If I had a $1000 to spend on a scope I would probably buy a Sightron. As with Vortex, the Sightrons have a lifetime warranty.

Lifetime Replacement Warranty

Nothing wrong with Sightron at all. I just would prefer a FFP if at all possible in this price range. Vortex is pushing the envelop and others will be following for a long time to come it would seem from their impact already in rifle optics in such a very short time. Look at the blogs about the last two SHOT shows and whom has made the biggest splashes in terms of interest. There are a great many great optics companies, but Vortex is really pushing the optics market to offer better quality, better more efficient designs and great glass at lower and lower price points. They are being rewarded with increasing market share and public praise from users. That is something that must be making the competition green with envy these days.

If you are going to dial your drops, I would look at 3 scopes.

Sightron S3 6x24 has great glass, and has had excellent feedback concerning repeatable tracking from guys on this forum . However, my personal experience with their customer service has not been that great.

Huskemaw 5x20 great scope with repeatable turrets. I am a big fan of their reticle, and their customer service has been second to none. However, they have raised their price to slightly over $1,000,but you should take a look at this scope.

Vortex Viper PST- While these scopes are not out yet, the anticipation is that they will be excellent scopes. Vortex has a scope called the RAZOR, which from all reports is built like a tank, great glass, repeatable turrets, ect.
There PST line will have similar qualities, but at an affordable price. While the PST line is not "proven", the Vortex brand is getting a great reputation, and at the price range of the PST line you would be wise to take a serious look.

If you are going to dial your drops, I would look at 3 scopes.

Sightron S3 6x24 has great glass, and has had excellent feedback concerning repeatable tracking from guys on this forum . However, my personal experience with their customer service has not been that great.

Huskemaw 5x20 great scope with repeatable turrets. I am a big fan of their reticle, and their customer service has been second to none. However, they have raised their price to slightly over $1,000,but you should take a look at this scope.

Vortex Viper PST- While these scopes are not out yet, the anticipation is that they will be excellent scopes. Vortex has a scope called the RAZOR, which from all reports is built like a tank, great glass, repeatable turrets, ect.
There PST line will have similar qualities, but at an affordable price. While the PST line is not "proven", the Vortex brand is getting a great reputation, and at the price range of the PST line you would be wise to take a serious look.

In this day and age of the internet, good things become obvious quickly and bad ones are exposed in very short order. The cream will rise to the top and the so/so will fade away as people can communicate their experiences quickly and directly to the masses. The older established firms have little choice but to listen more to the consumers and provide value or someone will be willing to offer it and reap the rewards.

So Mike,
is there a point to your post?
What are your recomendations?

I agree with you. My apologies for not stating my actual preference. I have not used any of the listed scopes personally on my rifles, I have shot a friend's rifle with a Vortex Razor. I would most likely purchase one of the PST's, once they are released. I have Nikon Monarch's on my hunting rigs right now, but I really liked the Vortex Razor that I saw and shoot with on a friends rifle ALOT! The PST w/FFP fits my budget and feature needs completely.

Last edited:
I was assuming that all of the scopes in this price range have first focal plane reticles. Is that wrong?

Viper FFP and Horus vision are the only two rifle scopes on the entire market (that I've seen) to have have first focal plane reticles in the $800-$1000 range.

Night Force only has one scope model with Front Focal Plane and its over $2300. (Nightforce 3.5 - 15 x 50mm NXS F1)

Many, many long range shooter use second focal plane scopes. Good Front Focal plane scopes used to be over $3000, not anymore...

With the Raptor from Horus, I use the turret probably 80% of the time instead of the reticle. The reticle is sweet for playing with 20+ unstable wind/700+ yards.

liltank mentioned that Sightron SIII might have FFP option and Nixon X might have FFP. Will have to check it out! Would be very nice to see more affordable reliable FFP scopes with reliable repeatability on the market.

Last edited:
I selected a Nikon Monarch X for my LRH Rifle and have not looked back. My rifle is a Custom built 300 RUM. My reason for selecting was driven by price. My in the field experience with the rifle and scope has been without regret.

The Vortex looks better the more I look at it.
When is it supposed to be released?

Check with Libery Optics (Liberty Optics LLC) Scott is a great guy and offers outstanding customer service. He can give you an good release date. His web site is stating April, but check with him for a more exact date.
Their reticles are the cat's meow vs most all sub $1000.00 scopes presently available too, IMO.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.