Scope reccomendations $750-$1000?

Im in the market for a good mid range scope (already have a 2-10x & 5.5-20x) so I'm looking for something in that 3-15/4-16 range. It will be shared between a 260 rem and 300wm. I need moa or mrad substensions (simply put: not interested in a duplex or b&c style reticle).

The main quality Im looking for is ruggedness and durability. I want something I can sight in then not worry about it getting bumped off in the truck bed, getting drug through the brush, etc.

I've always been a fan of Vortex and the 4-16 PST is high on my list, but I am open to the NF SHV, Trijicon Accu-Power, Burris, bushnell, etc - I'm open to anything. Odds are I won't be able to tell much difference in glass quality in this price range. It'd be great if the turrets were capped, but that's probably a big ask for a reticle like I'm looking for.

Thanks for any suggestions.
Right up your alley.

Leupold 170710 VX 3i 4 5 14x50mm 30mm Side Focus Boone Crockett Riflescope | eBay

I'm looking at the Vortex razor hd lh. Anyone have experience with it? It's got every feature I want, almost like I built it myself.

I'm looking at the Vortex razor hd lh. Anyone have experience with it? It's got every feature I want, almost like I built it myself.

You said you were at $1000 max... That scope is like twice that. I love Vortex optics, and have a lot of their products. But the Razors are pretty big and bulky, also fairly heavy scopes. They're great scopes, but I don't care for that weird color they are (with the exception of the new Razor HD Light Hunter). If they were matte black like their other scopes, I'd consider buying one. But until then, if I were to spend that much, I'd go Nightforce NXS.

Once again, JMO...

Last edited:
You said you were at $1000 max... That scope is like twice that. I love Vortex optics, and have a lot of their products. But the Razors are pretty big and bulky, also fairly heavy scopes. They're great scopes, but I don't care for that weird color they are (with the exception of the new Razor HS Light Hunter). If they were matte black like their other scopes, I'd consider buying one. But until then, if I were to spend that much, I'd go Nightforce NXS.

Once again, JMO...

Razor lh is about an $800 black scope that weighs 16oz. It's new this year.

WildRose,

You're right on target, so to write. The VX-3 2.5x8 I've recently bought was intended for my Sake AV .270 Win. But the tube wasn't long enough to fit in OptiLock rings. So I bought a Leupold VX-3 4.5x14 AO and put the VX-3 2.5x8 atop my 43+ year-old Model 700 .270 Win. I went with the smaller objective because I like to mount scopes a low as possible on my rifles. But the 50MM objective is extremely popular.

My VX-3 4.5x14 AO is atop my Sako AV. Both of rifles are with me in Utah waiting for Saturday's general season deer opener. My Model 700 will be my primary rifle. It's lighter, and shoots every bit as accurately as my Sako.

BTW, I know nothing of Vortex scopes. Are they made in Germany or the USA?

WildRose,

You're right on target, so to write. The VX-3 2.5x8 I've recently bought was intended for my Sake AV .270 Win. But the tube wasn't long enough to fit in OptiLock rings. So I bought a Leupold VX-3 4.5x14 AO and put the VX-3 2.5x8 atop my 43+ year-old Model 700 .270 Win. I went with the smaller objective because I like to mount scopes a low as possible on my rifles. But the 50MM objective is extremely popular.

My VX-3 4.5x14 AO is atop my Sako AV. Both of rifles are with me in Utah waiting for Saturday's general season deer opener. My Model 700 will be my primary rifle. It's lighter, and shoots every bit as accurately as my Sako.

BTW, I know nothing of Vortex scopes. Are they made in Germany or the USA?
As far as I know the Viper and Razor lines are made in the Philipines with all of the customer service/repair done here in the US. I had too many dependability problems with the scopes so in spite of the great customer service, including turn around time I'm just done with them.

Leupold just doesn't let me down and they are an American Company that still does their production here as well as repairs so other than the few Trijicon's I have, 3 of these
accupoint_top.jpg
Pictured right,

https://www.trijicon.com/na_en/products/product2.php?id=AccuPoint&mid=1-6x24

Which are very robust scopes and great optics along with the non battery dependent illumination I'm stuck on Leupold.

Over the next few years I'll probably replace all of my other scopes with the VX-6 line other than my one VX7L and just keep on hunting.

As far as I know the Viper and Razor lines are made in the Philipines with all of the customer service/repair done here in the US. I had too many dependability problems with the scopes so in spite of the great customer service, including turn around time I'm just done with them.

Leupold just doesn't let me down and they are an American Company that still does their production here as well as repairs so other than the few Trijicon's I have, 3 of these
accupoint_top.jpg
Pictured right,

https://www.trijicon.com/na_en/products/product2.php?id=AccuPoint&mid=1-6x24

Which are very robust scopes and great optics along with the non battery dependent illumination I'm stuck on Leupold.

Over the next few years I'll probably replace all of my other scopes with the VX-6 line other than my one VX7L and just keep on hunting.

I can't say for sure where leupold scopes are manufactured, but the Vortex Razor line is manufactured in Japan.

+3 on the Burris Veracity. I own or have owned almost every major scope bran d out there, and have that Burris is always a great choice. Plus, the veracity scopes have a $100 mail in rebate right now, you can get into a 4-20x50 with ffp reticle for $700 right now. Tough to beat that kind of value.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.