Scope for 1000+

YA that was a sweet deal, he still has a 3x18 VX-6 for $850 for sale On page 2 of optics for sale! I'm just undecided what I want, but I'm thinking the 4-24 is what I'll go with over the 6-18. 4 power is still low enough for me in thick timber!
The VX6 comes in 3-18 not 6-18. Sweet scopes.

Having held a Vortex 6.5 -24 in hand and owning a Zeiss 6.5-20 Conquest, I'd buy the Zeiss again. The Vortex is just too heavy and gives insufficient technical advantage over the Zeiss. Clarity and field of view goes to the Zeiss. gun)
Just had a look at the specs for the new HD 5-25 Zeiss, it is even heavier than the Vortex!? Stuff that!

I have the Zeiss Conquest DL 3-12x50mm, on a .338 Win Mag that is used for long range elk hunting. Good scope, bright, quick target acquisition, but a bit heavy so requires careful bedding to the rings to keep it from moving from recoil.

The issue I find is I only shoot that distance maybe five times a year, just enough to keep on target and once in the field. So my go to scope for reaching out to game no larger than a Mule deer is now a Nikon M-308 4-16x42mm on a .30-06 with a heavy profile barrel.

I find the Nikon to be just as quick at acquiring the target, and so reasonably priced that it is absolutely amazing what one gets for the money. Plus, the inevitable bump or drop is no longer a concern with a small dollar scope.

Just my thoughts.

Having held a Vortex 6.5 -24 in hand and owning a Zeiss 6.5-20 Conquest, I'd buy the Zeiss again. The Vortex is just too heavy and gives insufficient technical advantage over the Zeiss. Clarity and field of view goes to the Zeiss. gun)
Just had a look at the specs for the new HD 5-25 Zeiss, it is even heavier than the Vortex!? Stuff that!
That's the price you pay for scopes built to take a lot of abuse. Unless we want to pay for titanium bodies etc heavier is just going to be part and parcel with HD.

WildRose, that's what I had up top, I've just got the 6 from VX-6 stuck in my head! Pretty new to these scopes, but really like what I see!

WildRose, that's what I had up top, I've just got the 6 from VX-6 stuck in my head! Pretty new to these scopes, but really like what I see!
Ahh. Well I know what you mean I have the 3-18x50 and 4-24x50 on two rigs each and I can't honestly tell you which I like better. It sure is nice to have the extra power though looking at small stuff at long and very long range and in most cases at least around here eliminates the need to carry a spotter as well.

Just ordered a pair of EL 10X42 HD. how do you like them? Can't wait to use them on Bears in Idaho this year.

They are sweet, I have a pair of Leupold gold rings and now the swaro's, during the day all day my Leupolds are right there with them, but it's the last 30 min. Where the swaro's really take off and out shine! Good luck with them your going to enjoy them!!!

I have four Vortex Viper HSLRs, two older SFPs and two newer FFPs. All are 4-16x. None have given me mechanical problems, and the turrets track well. The only criticism I would offer is the markings on the parallax knobs are pretty useless (I don't find this to be a serious problem, I merely mention it to be fair). I prefer the newer FFP reticles hands down. At four power the thick bars that form the outside of the pattern provide plenty of guidance to the eye for a snapshot at close range, and at high mag the reticle center is an opening with a tiny (0.45moa) dot that has never posed a problem covering a target. I shoot targets at 1000-1100 yds, and find 16x adequate to the task for any size target I am likely to engage at that range. I don't think I'd like the 6-24x for hunting here in PA, as I am in woods with short sight lines and heavy cover quite often. Starting out with a fixed 4x as a kid, the 4x bottom end was a more practical choice in my mind. I have never had a chance to compare, but I suspect 4x has an edge at sunup and sundown too. I think I saw BDC turrets mentioned in this thread, I use Kenton Industries "Military" format, with both the yardage for my load and MOA scales to cover all occasions.

Attachments

• Turret examples 004.JPG
    Turret examples 004.JPG
    79.1 KB · Views: 66
Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.