Best scope for 600 - 1000 yrd comp. shooting

sc_24

I am going to be getting into some 600 to 1000 yrd comp. shooting and was looking for some insight on the best scope choice? I know that being able to adjust for elevation is imp. Nightforce seems to have a good reputation but i am unsure of the best model and size. thanks

I shoot in long range groundhog matches in penna. (out to 500yds and I use a 8x by 25x leuopold with a optical booster that makes it about 32x. I also use a 36x weaver, but I'll be using a 12 by 42 nightforce in the spring, I think the nightforce will be you best bet.
drags

Hi 24,
For F-Class which we typically shoot 300, 500, 600, 800,900, 1000 yrds I have two rifles that both wear Nightforce 5.5-22 x 56 NXS - both have the NP-R2 reticals. If you are going to use your rifle /scope for hunting then you may wish to consider the 5.5-22 x 50 with the newer NP-R1 retical and possibly the new zero-stop feature. If not then the 5.5-22 x 56 NXS or even the 8-32 x 56 NXS is hard to beat for competition. I have never actually used anything greater than 22 power; but for F-Class I find this is usually sufficient as mirage can effect the sight picture too much at higher magnifications; there are times when even 22 is too much and you have to wind back. I'm however sure the long range bench rest shooters prefer the higher magnification models.

The things I like about Nightforce is zero adjustment is very simple, 'click' adjustments are very positive, MOA's dialed into the scope do indeed appear to be bang on in the field, and they give years of trouble free service. My oldest NXS is 8 years old. I have owned a few other (cheaper) brands that have disappointed one way or the other; Nightforce never lets you down.

All the best with your decision.

Glen

The best without regard to price would be a 10x60x52 March
Welcome to Kelbly's

The best bang for the buck I believe is the 8x32x56 Sightron, if you can find one.
I have also heard a rumor that Sightron is coming out with a 10x40x56 this year.

James

I like Nightforce, leupold only the LR or Mark IV 30mm, Burris Xtr will work fine. Horus Vision is very nice if you like to set it and forget it and don't mind carring a range chart or a PDA with ballistics program. But if you want the best US Optics.

Nightforce NXS 5.5-22X50 NP-R1 would be hard to beat. Good glass and repeatable adjustments. I just got one this past fall, and love it. First scope I've been truly happy with. Will have another one soon. (I hope!:))

So, going beyond the 22 power is not necessary even at 1000 yards?

Not only is it not neccesary, more sucks. 20-22 seems really clear and bright even in average to semi sucky conditions. More just magnifies mirage and dust/impurities in the air and the image, although bigger is very hazey. I have owned more big scope than I care to admit and Once trying a 22x, I will NEVER go with more power. High magnifications scopes work great the first few minutes of the day when the air is clear and the light is perfect with no mirage. After that forget it. You will hate it the rest of the time.

If you limit your scope to 22x, you limit your ability to shoot small groups and big scores. Period. If conditions warrant, you can always dial your high powered glass down. You can't always dial you lower powered scope up if it aint there.

" AIM SMALL, MISS SMALL". Words to live by at 1000 yards.

Prototype 10 X 50 X56 Sightron

I dropped by the Sightron offices back during Christmas and Allen Orr showed me a proto type 10 x 50 X 56. It was very clear and I encouraged him to have them made. Suggest you stop by their tent at the Shot Show or e-mail them to encourage them to make more 8 X 32s and bring out the 10 X 50.
Rustystud

I have been using a couple Sightron 6x24x42 scopes for 600 and 1000yd BR, I have been doing well them but I often would like more power. For some reason I seem to be doing better at 1000yds than 600yds, go figure.
Your original question was what is the best and that is the March. I have good confidence in my Sightrons to hold point of aim and the price isn't out of line on them so I consider them the minimum for 1000yd competition.
I was planning on getting a 8x32 Sightron this year but I am going to wait and see if they release the higher powered scope at the shot show.

James

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.