Stuck cases

The buildup could seriously become problematic. Even some of the lubes specifically designed for cases and dies have that problem.

We're dealing with very high pressure vessels, explosives, and .001-.01 tolerances.

I think it's best to stay with what's designed to work.

A hammer doesn't make a very good vice, and a vice doesn't make a good screwdriver.
I don't think he's sizing loaded ammo. LOL

I literally got over 1500 rifle brass resized with a $4 tub of Unique and have 2/3 of it left. Not a single stuck case and no counter tops to wipe off with overspray.
and it's very tedious to do it. My neck mandrels get Unique, and if I size alot of cases I wouldn't use Unique or imperial or Burts bees it would be RCBS on a brush. Unique and Bees seems to be the slickest and have the least resistance so far. I really don't like to work that hard on the press lever.

I just tried lanolin in case necks over mandrel, works well, just as well as unique and bees.

Last edited:
well anybody who uses lube that doesn't dry my friend cleans it off. Handloading 101 This thread is about a stuck case and it can be a lack of enough lube or too much..... regardless of what lube other than the stuff that dries, can be a contaminant to powder. Chamber issues? A case expands and contracts. If theres a little lube left behind I don't think it'll be an issue and would most likely be a debate among the masses. I've been hunting for over 20 years and had a light coating of oil in my chamber and never had an issue. Countless rounds at the firing range and zero issues.

Last edited:
If you used a lube and still stuck a case you need to change lubes.
I use Imperial lube and have not stuck a case since switching to Imperial
Here are two really good ways to stick a case in a die ( besides the obvious)
Lube a case and size it in a die that has a different lube sitting in it for awhile...
Clean your dies, and size a lubed case in a dry die.
It can happen to anybody......

You can send it to Redding and they'll remove it too. Same thing happened to me with a 28 Nosler case. I tried a lot of what is suggested here. I used to use One Shot but moved to Alcohol and Lanolin mixture. You can tell the difference working brass it is much smoother with less

Yep.
Sticking cases in dies can happen to anybody.
Use One Shot and it can happened to everybody.
It works real good on my 380 pistol cases...
Oh..No! Nowonder One Shot works on mine...I don't have a 380...LOL

I like Hornady Unique Case Lube, Dillon D.C.L. and Forster High Pressure Case Lube for my Rifle cases. I seem to use Hornady Unique more than anything though. Ive tried a bunch of stuff but seem to always go back to HUCL

How does this matter when the case is inside the die with however much the die just squeezed the neck too? It ain't gonna just slide over the expander no matter how much lube is in the neck.

To the OP, those expanders are hardened, so no damage would've taken place.

Cheers.
sure it does and it works for me.... and that's all that matters

Last edited: