7mm STW Cases Stuck After Firing

@General RE LEE Is the bolt closing hard on sized cases? When my 7RM had issues with not sizing just about the belt, it would close hard. It got tighter with each firing much like neck sizing only. Try marking the case with a sharpie above the belt and close on a fired and sized case to see where the heavy contact is.

@General RE LEE Is the bolt closing hard on sized cases? When my 7RM had issues with not sizing just about the belt, it would close hard. It got tighter with each firing much like neck sizing only. Try marking the case with a sharpie above the belt and close on a fired and sized case to see where the heavy contact is.

No bolt is closing fine.

I had another thread a while back about the cases getting stuck in my Rem 700 Sendero 7mm STW. Many suggested primary extraction issues. It has really bothered me that I have this issue with the rifle and I've been brainstorming.

I think the issue is case bulge above the belt. I resize with a $50 Hornady full length resizing die. I measured with calipers above the belt of factory Remington Core Lokt 7mm STW ammo and it was 0.50 and above the belt. My resized cases measure 0.512 above the belt. I don't think my die is sizing all the way to the case belt and the diameter is larger than never fired factory brass.

After 3 firings and subsequent reloadings, the brass will get stuck when I go to pull the bolt back. I have to bang on the bolt to extract the spent case.

The only solution I have found is to load lighter loads. The light loads will start to stick if chamber and bore start to get hot. If the load is anything above medium the case is stuck everytime.

Anyone get stuck cases from a belted magnum?
Yes, I had the same trouble. My chamber was cut to big in the back. With a belt, it is very hard to size the web area down as the belt swells and leaves cartridge unsized. I cracked two full length dies trying to size them back down. Measure your case just above the belt and you can determine if your chamber is fat.

Recent Posts