Stuck case issue 7mm

Rogmay

Newer 7mm, doing load development and wasn't seeing any signs of pressure but I had one of my cases get stuck in the chamber, I was able to pop it out Easley enough, any ideas are welcome as to why this could of happened. I've shot this load quite a bit and all the cases looked good, thanks in advance for your suggestions! image.jpg

One look at your primer tells me you are way over pressure. What pressure signs are you looking at ? I have never encountered a primer showing that much cratering. You are at high pressure, have a serious headspace problem or a firing pin problem.

I hadn't seen any with this load until this case, previous cases have all looked normal, primers looked normal not overly flat, still rounded, case measurements were all normal, shooting a rifle with tight tollerences so I full legth size every time! Cases go in and out easy. I'm rigth at the 100 count down the tube.

Looks like extremely high pressure to me also....is it possible that you didn't correctly read the scale and added a 5 grain extra load...a misplaced bullet that was heavier than the rest...something caused this...I don't think a lot change in powder caused this much pressure.... Case that was not trimmed, a case with extra neckwall thickness.

Did you drop the hammer on the rifle a second time trying to get the case out?? If that's the case, the primer is fine.... Otherwise you have pressure issues with the primer.

The Shiny on the case head is what I'm worried about... That tells me the pressure was high enough to smash the tail end of the brass into the bolt-face hard enough that the rebound was nearly zero when the pressure came off.

Either your load is seriously hot and it's showing up as conditions have changed, or you have something like Frank has stated.... a mistake in the loading of some sort.

Do you use an electronic powder scale and dispenser, like the RCBS Chargemaster 1500?

If so, you need to be properly calibrating your scale before each reloading session. I used to not do this, until my scale overcharged one of my .25-06 AI cases so much, the primer disintegrated. It was so bad I took the rifle back to the gunsmith and he pulled it back apart (I had just had it built a few weeks prior) and he magnafluxed everything to be sure there was no damage.

Lefty7mmstw, you hit the nail on the head with dropping the hammer again, i put a fire round in the gun pulled the trigger and the primer looks identical! I'm now thinking it's not so much a pressure problem but with the tight tollerences in my chamber my die isn't reducing the case just above the belt enough,which from a side view of the case is where I believe it was stuck! it's reducing enough to go in easy, but when I fired this case it was not sized enough from my die! I think the shiny part your seeng might be from the lamp reflection I was standing next to! Please let me know if any of tis sounds reasonable, also my bolt doesn't want to grab the case now! Thanks for any input once again!

Lefty7mmstw, you hit the nail on the head with dropping the hammer again, i put a fire round in the gun pulled the trigger and the primer looks identical! I'm now thinking it's not so much a pressure problem but with the tight tollerences in my chamber my die isn't reducing the case just above the belt enough,which from a side view of the case is where I believe it was stuck! it's reducing enough to go in easy, but when I fired this case it was not sized enough from my die! I think the shiny part your seeng might be from the lamp reflection I was standing next to! Please let me know if any of tis sounds reasonable, also my bolt doesn't want to grab the case now! Thanks for any input once again!

rogmay, I hope that your primer cratering was simply caused by a second hit by firing pin. That would be a big relief, I'm sure. As far as your die not reducing your brass near the belt, it is a fairly common problem with belted magnums. The only fix, I have found, is to purchase the Larry Willis Collet Die. It sizes the case to the belt and will work on most all belted mags. It also has one end that allows you to quickly check each piece of brass to see if it needs to be used. I have been using it on all my 7 rem mags and STWs and it is a great invention by Larry. It adds an extra step, but well worth it. You never mentioned your load specifics, so I can't comment on that. I would suggest you double check your fired cases for headspace vs. resized brass, just to be sure. I am assuming you checked your extractor for brass shavings and that it's not broken or worn. Brass shavings could be another sign of excessive pressure. Hope you get it worked out. Good luck.

morning, lefty hit the nail on the head. shiny ring and distorted primer, to much pressure.

what powder, how many times fired cases? how many times fl resized?

u have a serious pressure problem.

if u would check all previous fired cases and check for the shiny ring.

Thanks for all responses, I might have to check out that die! as far as the brass and load goes, the brass is on its second round, FL sized each time with standard FL die, 69gr retumbo shooting 180 hybrid, 215 primer, .030 off lands. Nosler brass. I think the Larry Willis die might be worth looking into, thanks again for all the responses!

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.