338 rum stuck cases

benopland

hi im new to this site. was wondering if anyone has some tips for sizing 338 rum cases. ive tried different lubes, different dies, and still end up with a few stuck cases. i reload several thousand rounds per year in a lot of different calibers. this is the only cal that gives me problems. they are once fired rounds, none are hot loads. any tips or suggestions will help thanks,,

might be your loading dies...

if your cases are clean and well lubed, I'd suspect the loading dies. check the insides for lathe marks or such.

For reasons not worth explaining I've had a lot of stuck cases over the last several decades of reloading. Every one was because I used an improper lube or failed to apply it sufficently well around the thicker head part of the case.

dont think its the dies i have dissassembled 2 different sets 1 rcbs and 1 redding. cleaned and lubed them well. might be the lube im using. its sharp shoot r royal lube. in a aerosol can. will try honady lube.

nevermind on the aerosol, just looked it up on midway. lt has very good reviews from people having the same problem. will definatly try this stuff out. thanks for the info.

thanks . ive been reading alot of good things about these wax type lubes. how do you guys apply the wax type?? i have only used spray type lubes and they have worked well for me on smaller 204,223,264 ect.. but have had bad luck with the larger 338 rum. thanks for the input.

you put a small dab on your fingers and just spin the case between your fingers making sure that it is applied evenly. make sure you dont put on to much or you will cause dents in the shoulder when you go to resize them. by the way where in ND are you from

go to your local pharmasist and ask him for some anyhydrous lanolin. Make sure hes getting you anyhydrous though. Mine had to order it. It came in a 2lb tub for like 30 bucks. Theres enough lanolin in that tube for 10 handloaders to lube all there cases for the rest of there life. NOTHING ive found works better. What i do is put my cases in a shoe box and put a dab about the size of two peas in the palm of my hand and rub my hands together and then work my hands through the brass. It doesnt take much on a case to make it work. Ive NEVER had a stuck case using it and ive had stuck cases at one time or another with every other lube. It works real well for doing 223s which i load a ton at a time and those are run into a small base die which really tests lubes. If you cant find any try imperial sizing wax. Its the same thing but is alot more expensive in that little tin they sell it in. Another thing some guys do with it is put it in a spray bottle at a ration of a bout 9 to 1 by volume with isyopropol alcohol to make a spray lube that is very simular to what dillon sells. But again a whole lot cheaper. Another way i use it when just loading a few rounds is to just dip my left index finger and thumb in a bit of it that i warm in a microwave and just rub it very lightly on the case as i put it in the press.

What type brass are you using?

i was wondering if different brass (win, lapua, norma, hornady) gave you the same problem.

Like you this is the only caliber that I have issues with. (10K+ reloads/year), so I have some experience but certain learn something new each year.

I have a couple of new approaches to work on as suggest on a different thread.

lighter powder charges and shortened brass. I will see what results those changes produce. LM

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.