338 Lapua cases stuck in Savage gun?

I think the issue is that folks are overloading the cartridge for the chamber, at least that's what I've found to be the case for my own rifle.

Savage does have tight chambers, no doubt... can't even slip a bullet into the neck of fired factory loaded Hornady brass in the case of my rifle. I think this is mainly a Hornady problem, with their brass--more so than Savage's problem. Lapua cases work much better, but they could hang as well, if you're shooting too much powder. :eek:

But I wouldn't change a thing... my rifle is making great velocity with less powder than it's taking other rifle makes to get the same MV, and seems to be very accurate as well.

Not to say that there aren't going to be legitimate problems from time to time with any factory gun (and even custom ones as well, I've seen)... but if you take the Savage 338LM issues that folks are reporting, then deduct from them the instances where over-pressure and improperly installed scope rails (by the customer or retailer) were the actual problem, I think you're going to have a very short list of truly serious issues.

I have same issues with a McMillian.

Couple of good ideas posted here.

1 I will shorten the length of the brass

2. I will go down on the powder *H1000, and see what kind of velocity I get. I still want to shoot a mile. I have seen no signs of over pressure

I have turned the necks, and clean them with SS media to ensure all the carbon is removed inside and out. I have them at magazine length, but the rifle can handle longer rounds with greater accuracy if I don't mind loading them one at a time. I have a bore scope (hawkeye) so I will look to see if there is carbon build up in the chamber

I have found that Lapua, norma and Hornady brass all give me fits. Keep me posted on your findings. LM

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.