Stuck case in chamber

That computer program I mentioned shows 70g of IMR4831 with 24" barrel at 2938 fps and 58,360 psi,
a 26" barrel -all the above but 2994 fps.
Yeah the barrel I have on there now is a 24" Sendero Lite Proof barrel. The previous was a factory Sendero 26".

I think that you're seating too close to the lands for a hunting load ! I would measure your family story round ,load a few rounds with your receipe and try them ! If results are good I would back off to 020 to .050 from the lands !
Yeah, I had made a mistake in my original post stating that I had it seated .005 off the lands. I have it set at .040. A good example of why it's important to take good notes! Anyways, I have a bit of room to play with head space it looks like.

BearDog, you need to change your handle to LuckyDog for drawing that tag. I too am a Washington resident and have been trying for a moose tag for 18 yrs with no luck. Can I ask how many points it took you and what area you drew?
I wish you good luck on finding the answer to your handloading issue.
Hahaha. Well as long as you promise not to be upset with me! I drew with 8. Douglas early hunt. So I'll be catching the tail end of the rut. Pretty pumped up.

Hahaha. Well as long as you promise not to be upset with me! I drew with 8. Douglas early hunt. So I'll be catching the tail end of the rut. Pretty pumped up.
You are a lucky dog. Sounds like my hunting partner. A couple years ago he drew a sheep tag with only 8 points. Some guys have all the luck. Good luck to you. Shoot straight.

With moose I would back off and load for accuracy. At moose ranges it be just as dead 100 fps slower
Yeah, I agree. I typically only load for accuracy and dont check velocity until I find my most accurate round. I figure whatever I can work and adjust to whatever the velocities are. I work within the min/max listed in the manufacturer data and check for pressure signs with each round.

How did you determine you are .005 off lands? I would never run a hunting round any where close to .005 off lands. I would especially not do it on a load work up for a belted case either. My guess is you are actually in the lands.

I would back it off at least .020 and work up again.

Good luck
Steve

A dummy round would show rifling marks if the bullet was jammed.

I recently had a proof barrel put on my .300WM Sendero. I'm working on developing a load, and have yielded good results from 70gr of IMR4831, with a Nosler AB 180gr. In fact that is the same recipe for the weapon prior to adding the new barrel.

Here is my "hmmmm" moment. I had no indication of over pressure from that build. No bulging, cracking, sticking, and primers looked good. HOWEVER...when I went up to 70.5 during my test, my case was stuck and I had to try quite a few times to get the bolt to latch on and extract. This was the same for all of the rounds loaded at 70.5. At 71 gr I had to use a rod to get it out. I tested it again with a factory load and had no issues with extraction. All my cases are full length sized and under max case length. Bullet is seated .005 off lans. The max load for that powder is 73.

Why this worries me is if I'm getting stuck with a .5 gr increase going 70 to 70.5, is 70gr too risky to use when hunting? I was lucky enough to draw a moose tag for my home state and can't have a stuck case screwing that up. I don't know if temp changes will impact the material enough to where even the expansion for my 70gr charge will cause the case to stick. Could it be something else??
Believe it or not, your chamber may be too polished smooth. That creates more surface contact and a tighter fit. I had a problem with a brand new Remington 5r getting stuck cases with factory ammo. I spoke with some of my benchrest buddies, they say they usually have to rough up the chamber. I took 000 steel wool and put it on a dowel so it was a snug fit in the chamber and ran it for about 1 minute. No more stuck cases!!

A dummy round would show rifling marks if the bullet was jammed.
I didnt. I had made a mistake in my original post. Im .040 of the lands. I made another dummy round at .020 off the lands and didnt have any issues with sticking or rifling marks. I think if anything, being .040 off the lands created a compressed load once I got up into the 70.5 charge. Im going to pick up some new brass start my test over between 69 and 70, and with different lengths between .040 and .020.

My son had the same experience with his .300 WM Sendero...was hitting pressure signs and hard lift at about 2 grs below the book. He dropped down to 5 grs below max, adjusted seating to .030 busted out the chronograph and started working up to the node. He saw he was at the book max velocity for the max charge at 3 grs below the book max. Conveniently and happily, that was a good load so just stopped there and went with it. FYI, I think it was 68 grs I-4350, 180 gr SGK, Fed 215 primer and Nosler custom brass.

I recently had a proof barrel put on my .300WM Sendero. I'm working on developing a load, and have yielded good results from 70gr of IMR4831, with a Nosler AB 180gr. In fact that is the same recipe for the weapon prior to adding the new barrel.

Here is my "hmmmm" moment. I had no indication of over pressure from that build. No bulging, cracking, sticking, and primers looked good. HOWEVER...when I went up to 70.5 during my test, my case was stuck and I had to try quite a few times to get the bolt to latch on and extract. This was the same for all of the rounds loaded at 70.5. At 71 gr I had to use a rod to get it out. I tested it again with a factory load and had no issues with extraction. All my cases are full length sized and under max case length. Bullet is seated .005 off lans. The max load for that powder is 73.

Why this worries me is if I'm getting stuck with a .5 gr increase going 70 to 70.5, is 70gr too risky to use when hunting? I was lucky enough to draw a moose tag for my home state and can't have a stuck case screwing that up. I don't know if temp changes will impact the material enough to where even the expansion for my 70gr charge will cause the case to stick. Could it be something else??
I would recheck everything with your gauge starting at .040 off the lands, then shoot your rounds and check for stuck case, if not move them in no closer than .020 and fire some more and check for accuracy, that just sounds like a disaster in the making at .05, your Bullet should just get that jump and not be sitting in the lands, and not experiencing pressure or jamming issues. It's called the sweet spot. Hope some of the advice helps you.

I just read your post and not all of the replies.
if you're using the same brass you shot in your previous barrel, then there's your answer. Ask me how I know.
Either buy new brass or use a small base sizer for your current brass.

Did you chrono your loads? how Many times did you shoot and reload the brass? I use that powder in my 300wm and That amount of powder never caused sticky or stuck brass. no one load is always the same in another barrel

Did you chrono your loads? how Many times did you shoot and reload the brass? I use that powder in my 300wm and That amount of powder never caused sticky or stuck brass. no one load is always the same in another barrel
I did not. This recipe out of my old barrel was at 2960. That's been asked that a few time though. I always have only cared about accuracy and whatever the velocity was, I worked with. I chrono it after I'm happy with my grouping.

That was the factory 26". This is a proof Sendero lite 24". This is all once fired Remington brass. All full length sized and trimmed below max case length.

I just read your post and not all of the replies.
if you're using the same brass you shot in your previous barrel, then there's your answer. Ask me how I know.
Either buy new brass or use a small base sizer for your current brass.
.....I could guess that the same thing happened to you, but I won't steal your thunder haha. How do you know??

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.