Sort of stuck case in chamber

bluescotty

Hello all...been using your sight for tons of great info but now I have a problem I can't seem to find the answer to...
300win mag with hand loads 76.2 gr r-22 with 168 sst...twice fired hornady brass

Here is the problem, I use FL die to theoretically neck size leaving a small donut on the case neck..today after firing it would take a second of so for the cases to pull out of the chamber...bolt lift was normal and they chambered smoothly with a touch of resistance when closing. I just couldn't cycle the bolt quickly I had to wait for the case to release, whenit did it came out very easily...I'm wondering if this is a problem with die adjustment or maybe a dirty chamber? Oh and only fired from this rifle Rem 700....any comments would be greatly appreciated

Welcome Bluescotty! I have used FL size dies to neck size before and have never created a "doughnut" on the casing. Others may have a better idea than I do, but it sounds to me like you may have the die set a little deep or shallow. It's hard to say without a picture. The other thing that comes to mind is that your cases may be getting a little long. Do you trim them to length? How many times have you loaded them?

I can't explain the sticky cases, again maybe others can help here. I'm guessing that it probably has something to do with the "doughnut" though.

Thanks for the reply
All the cases are 2.605 in length and the doughnut is a small bump at the bottom of the case neck that does not get sized down with the rest of the neck.. I suspect that to be the cause of my problem and have since adjusted the die to size all the way to the shoulder... hopefully that will remedy my problem.

You might try a different case. I have had similiar issues with Hornady brass. Seemed like the case bodies were too soft. My problem dissapeared when I changed.

The other thing to do is buy a neck sizing die. They are worth the money for sure! Lesson learned for me.

If the base of your bullet does not seat below the donut, it is nothing to worry about. If the bullet does go that low, use an expander and then lightly turn the necks. With a belted mag, neck sizing only is OK until lower case body grows. That could cause your problem

Try sizing down about 2/3rds only of the neck. Watch trim length.

Last edited:
Other posters:

BlueScotty doesn't have a donut issue. He is using the wrong word for description. A donut is formed on the inside of a case and this is not what is going on.

BlueScotty:

If a case is snug with bolt closure then it can be even tighter after firing. This is a magnum not a BR case. I understand that you don't want to over size the case and work the brass but you just aren't sizing the brass enough. Set the FL die a bit deeper so the sized brass has no resistance on bolt closure and I'll bet that solves your issue.

take four or five unsized, but fired cases and measure the area just above the band on the O.D. ( around .200") to see how it compairs with an unfired new case. It should be about .511" / .513" in diameter. Your full length die will not resize that part of the case very well. If the cases are in the .515" range, you need to buy a sizer fron Innovative Technologies. Otherwise your destined to be fighting this issue forever. The I.T. die will not completely resize the case, and you'll still need your full length die as well. Larry Willis is a pretty good guy and an avid shooter, so don't think of him as a scam artest.
gary

Other posters:

BlueScotty doesn't have a donut issue. He is using the wrong word for description. A donut is formed on the inside of a case and this is not what is going on.

BlueScotty:

If a case is snug with bolt closure then it can be even tighter after firing. This is a magnum not a BR case. I understand that you don't want to over size the case and work the brass but you just aren't sizing the brass enough. Set the FL die a bit deeper so the sized brass has no resistance on bolt closure and I'll bet that solves your issue.

+1
his load is actually rather mild, but if the brass doesn't want to go in, it sure as heck isn't going to want out.

Good thoughts for sure on all of the replies and I thank u very much gentlemen... I think I am more confused as to why the brass extracts very easily after a moment to "cool" maybe? It just seems very odd to me. I will run through all the given scenarios and post my findings if and when I make it home to try them... thanks again folks.

Another thing, does this rifle do this with new brass?? Or with factory loads?? If so there may be a bit of chamber irregularity that needs to be cleaned up. If it's just with your 2x fired brass you have your answer in the above comments.

So far it is just the 2x fired brass... but I haven't fired anymore shots since the original 20 rounds to be sure.

So I think I found the problem? Question is...what caused it and do I need a gunsmith to fix it?

Attachments

• 2013-03-08_16-30-05_37.jpg
    2013-03-08_16-30-05_37.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 132
  • 2013-03-08_16-29-50_227.jpg
    2013-03-08_16-29-50_227.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 111
Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.