Rookie screw up ! Stuck case in chamber

Iron Worker

Buddy of mine gave me some loaded ammo for my 22-250 . Of course it worked fine in his chamber ! I chambered hard in mine ,BANG ! Now I can't eject the fired case ? I used the Cleaning rod from the muzzle down to try and knock it out ,its really stuck !!!!!! hope I don't have to take it to a gun smith and have him remove the bbl ?

Brownells has a stuck case remover. Costs around 125 bucks. No need to remove barrel.

Sounds like you have a tight chamber.

Hornady has soft brass and expands in chamber, I had the same issue.

I had that happen once.

I ended up welding a rod onto a drill, drilling the case, tapping it to 1/4NC, screwed a threaded rod into the case and pulled the case out. I used some brass fitting in the rear of the action with a nut and washer to pull against. It popped right out then. I guess you could use a small slide hammer also or make one by using a weight with hole in it over the threaded rod.

I had taken it to a gunsmith buddy and he tried to get the barrel off but it was pretty tight. I just told him I 'd take care of it and was done pretty quickly, 20 minutes or so welding included.

Oh, I remember what I pulled against! I used a piece of plastic pipe like cpvc. It fit over the case and through the action and pulled with a washer and nut over the end.

Soaked it over night with both Break free and WD-40 so far all that's come out is the primer. Dang it it's really stuck.

Got to Lowes or one of the big box hardware stores and get some 3/16" oak dowl rods. Then also pick up a 3/16" piece of aluminum or brass. Drop the wood dowl down the bore and push it into the case. Now try driving against the wood pin with the aluminum rod. I wouldn't use a good cleaning rod as you may ruin it in the process. Another way to do this is to find a long drill that about 3/16", and drill a hole in the base of the case. Then drop a #10-32 socket head cap screw into the case mouth (may take some fiddeling to get it in the hole you drilled. You then can pull the case out of the chamber with a knocker or a small socket with a washer ontop of it. Better yet would be to find a piece of 3/16" drill rod, and wrap it with tape. It's stiff enough to where you could drive out the old stuck case.
gary

Just got back from gunsmith, he had a propper size steel rod and he knocked it out. It was federal nickle plated brass. Fired in a large chamber. We full length sized the other brass my buddy gave me and none of it was usable in my chamber. On a sad note I broke the extractor in my bolt. My rifle is a T/C predator . So now I need to order some new parts from T/C. Thanks every one for offering tips. Love this forum.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.