Cartridge case body stuck in chamber

judgebill

Reloading question
Shooting 7mm RM, using cartridge cases reloaded multiple times 30 years ago by late friend, have no idea how many times. Noted cases were .20 or .30 longer than max length listed in manuals so trimmed them to .10 shorter than listed max. Loaded medium strength load (69.5 gr. RL 25, 155 gr. Cutting Edge), first shot @ 100 yards went into bullseye BUT cartridge head separated just in front of belt leaving body of cartridge in chamber.
Question; how do I get out remainder of cartridge, especially without gouging chamber?

She'll extractor is best answer but it might come out with a tight brush. Scraped a lot of 7mag brass over the years. I use a lot of range brass/give me brass but belted cases get scraped! Separated heads are a problem nobody needs. ps the others will separate to, give them a good look over and/or don't shoootem

Last edited:
I use a Spiral Flute Bolt Extractor (easy out) on a 1/4" extension, through the action. A slight twist in the case neck will easily loosen the case from the chamber without touching the barrel. Doesn't take much so just go easy.

Out it came. Put larger-than-caliber bristle brush in chamber from back, twisted and out came the case. Thanks everybody.
Use a good air supply also oversized cleaning brushes.
Look at the one I pull out to a person's rifle on the range.

Attachments

• Brass Case 2.jpg
    Brass Case 2.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 75
  • Case.jpg
    Case.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 82