Striving for Perfection: 1,000yd BR

Couple of my buddies did bench game for years, one still does.Alex knows them.The one had NF photo on there web site for years w/speed goat at 1000+ These guys hunt, one a avid bow hunt too for years.They use to shoot 3oowsm, then moved to 6 dasher, many WR by them over time.Few years back the one guy shot a 3 target ago. in MT at 2000 yard,19'' with 338LAI.A different buddy with a Alex build put a couple on steel at 1775 yard, 4'', this last fall.

Just going from memory, he shot a 300 WSM, Krieger barrel, Borden action, LRB stock. Thats an unbelievable target!

While not hunting, all of our custom parts we use and most all our knowledge of tuning and building really accurate rifles comes from BR. I have learned most of what I know about building accurate rifles and tuning from my involvement in LR BR. Those really accurate platforms are necessary to see the details. You learn it there, then you apply it to the rest of the rifles. It really goes hand in hand with LR hunting.

Very true. Very true. During my and others decades of BR, short and LR, Palma, 1,000yd prone, etc, what we learned from all those trials, errors and experiments went into many of our varmint, hunting rifles, scopes, stocks, etc. Even the very accurate and high BC bullets we use today to hunt varmints and game at LR were a product of years of improvements. Remember, Mr. Berger himself, like several others, was a bullet swager for his BR passion, and that grew into the Berger Bullets we all know today. Just like race cars and racing, many of those advancements became standard in autos today.

Many of us posses and use LR/ELR hunting rifles that aren't too far removed from some of the different classes of BR rifles seen on the benches and ranges. I have a few hunting/varmint rifles that easily fill the 12-15# categories, and I am sure many of you do too.

Recent Posts