6mm BR

I am in Michigan. I'd be all over it with a faster twist rate. I want one that pushes the heavies for deer.
No problem, this is way to heavy IMHO for stalking deer. Should be just the ticket to sit on the edge of a field and knock down coyotes though.

It just occurred to me that you've got a .270 neck chamber. Be prepared for outside neck turning of brass if you buy new cases. It will likely be absolutely required.

It just occurred to me that you've got a .270 neck chamber. Be prepared for outside neck turning of brass if you buy new cases. It will likely be absolutely required.
Thanks for the heads up. It came with 100 Lapua once fired brass, and I am going to order 100 more. Makes it fun to re-load.

BallisticsGuy has a key point. Check the neck thickness of your once fired brass against the new brass you may purchase. Neck turning for consistent bullet release may be paramount (haven't used that word in a while!). And if you've never turned necks, get ready to read with a few cups of coffee! Good luck

BallisticsGuy has a key point. Check the neck thickness of your once fired brass against the new brass you may purchase. Neck turning for consistent bullet release may be paramount (haven't used that word in a while!). And if you've never turned necks, get ready to read with a few cups of coffee! Good luck
Great use of the word! I'm checking into it as of today. What wold be "good" equipment to start with? Was looking at the Forster outside hand kit?

Since the DNR have just about killed deer hunting in MI, and there will be a ban on baiting next year... I'm going to gear up for predator hunting. The Michigan DNR seems to be in favor of predators over the quality deer hunting of my youth. More shooting is in the future anyway! Thanks for the input.

turned necks are the precision of the round. do not buy cheap gear to turn with.
brass will last a long time, you may never need the second 200. 270 is on the large end of turned necks, it will not take much to get there.

turned necks are the precision of the round. do not buy cheap gear to turn with.
brass will last a long time, you may never need the second 200. 270 is on the large end of turned necks, it will not take much to get there.
Right on. looks like .0005 to .0012 should do it.

I use K&M neck turning tools with hand drill and a Mitutuyo ball micrometer. My 6br necks are quite consistent. If I were starting from scratch I might try the 21rst Century lathe.

Pro-tips: Use a ball micrometer. A caliper type will not be easy to use. K&M or Forster neck turners should treat you right but they can be a little bit of a pain in the neck and hands. Measure thrice, cut once. A good micrometer should be fairly expensive. A not good one will not make you a happy camper.

Do they need to be turned every re-load or just check each time? Does the neck "grow" on the external dimension as they are shot, or can they go a few times without turning? Newbie question so forgive if it sounds silly.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.