6mm BR

Combatpreacher

I ended up with a decent custom rifle in a trade. Trying to decide if I should keep it or turn it. It is from Tuebor Precision:

Tuned Rem 700 with Bartlien #4 barrel that has "progressive" twist from 13.85" to 13.75". McMillan stock and Jewel trigger, etc.....

I know nothing about the 6mm BR Norma (.270NK) or progressive twist barrels. Is this round worth playing with for Varmints up to Coyote? Should I trade or sell it off for something with more "zip" or less expensive ammo? Does this qualify as a "long range" round?

Any experience with this round or loads would be appreciated.

The 6BR is a great round for both accuracy & varmints. With the twist you stated you will likely be shooting 55 to 70 grain bullets. You may be able to shoot 80's, but anything heavier may not stabilize. If you do not reload - then you may want to sell it. If you do handload - then give it a spin. It will smoke a .22-250 in varmint performance with the lighter range bullets. Sounds like a nice rifle. Good Luck

The 6BR is a great round for both accuracy & varmints. With the twist you stated you will likely be shooting 55 to 70 grain bullets. You may be able to shoot 80's, but anything heavier may not stabilize. If you do not reload - then you may want to sell it. If you do handload - then give it a spin. It will smoke a .22-250 in varmint performance with the lighter range bullets. Sounds like a nice rifle. Good Luck
Thanks, i got a bunch of bullets, powder, and primers with it... so i may just order up some dies and give it a try.

That's a varmint slaying machine. Run light 6mm pills. Check out BL-C(2) and faster powders. Because it's a short fat case I'd look to the faster side of the powder burn speed even if it costs you 50fps, it'll extend the barrel life a good bit. It's a stupid easy case to turn out super accurate ammo on. 30 grains of whatever fire sauce you like, short jump to the lands and rock-n-chucks to 500yrds.

That nearly 14" twist means it's likely a varmint or benchrest gun. It'll like light flat-base bullets and can run them at insane speeds (think 3500fps). Barrel life is usually pretty good.

That's a varmint slaying machine. Run light 6mm pills. Check out BL-C(2) and faster powders. Because it's a short fat case I'd look to the faster side of the powder burn speed even if it costs you 50fps, it'll extend the barrel life a good bit. It's a stupid easy case to turn out super accurate ammo on. 30 grains of whatever fire sauce you like, short jump to the lands and rock-n-chucks to 500yrds.

That nearly 14" twist means it's likely a varmint or benchrest gun. It'll like light flat-base bullets and can run them at insane speeds (think 3500fps). Barrel life is usually pretty good.
Wow, thanks. Didn't realize it could go that fast. I'm just boning up on it right now and am surprised what a good 80gr. bullet will do in this thing.

With your twist rate a 58 or 65 V-Max or 70 Sierra BK may be near ideal for most vermin up to coyote size. Again, you may get 80's to shoot or maybe not due to the slow twist. Good Luck.

With your twist rate a 58 or 65 V-Max or 70 Sierra BK may be near ideal for most vermin up to coyote size. Again, you may get 80's to shoot or maybe not due to the slow twist. Good Luck.
I ended up with a lot of 60gr so I'm going to start there... if i keep it of course!:rolleyes:

With a faster twist it would work for deer with a 95/105. With your slow twits you can go to heavier bullets than with bt. 75 flat base or bt should work.

With a faster twist it would work for deer with a 95/105. With your slow twits you can go to heavier bullets than with bt. 75 flat base or bt should work.
Thanks Doc. I have several areas in Northern MI by my property where I can sit over 80 to 200 acre timber cuts and see myself using this with a predator call to cull some of the Coyotes that have decimated the deer herd. i didnt realize how fast this could go. Might be just the ticket!

That slow twist is a favorite among the egg shoots I go to. Longest one locally is only 300 yards with 1-200 much more common. The 65 grain flat base tend to shoot very well in the 14tw.
BIB, Precision ballistics, and of course Bart's Bullets if you want stunning accuracy

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.