6-BR

I went with a 6 Dasher with the Norma brass. I don't shoot competitively and didn't want to fire form Lapua brass. My build isn't overly light. Haven't actually weighed it. 700 SA, benchmark 22" #4.5 spiral fluted, MBM 3 port, Manners EH1, trigger tech, BDL. Currently shooting 103 ELDX at 2910 FPS with varget. Only built it last year so only one antelope at 300 yds, folded right up. I'm in Canada and would have no reservations of shooting a deer out to 3-400 yds. It's so much fun to shoot with zero recoil and very accurate. Just waiting for the 6mm absolute hammer to come out. Think that would make a great hunting bullet. Got 300 of the 105 Berger hunting to try also as I'm not to happy with the 103 eldx. Was explosive on that pronghorn. As mentioned it doesn't feed great but I will work on that this winter. I'd say go for it. The 6BR should work great if the shots aren't to far. If the dasher works I can't see why the BR wouldn't.

Hey Beeman, thanks for the info! My 6 BR bench gun shoots great but it probably weighs in at close to 18 #'s. My local range only goes out to 400 yards and I can put ten shots in a 2" circle. I'm loading the Berger 105 gr Hybrids with 31.1 gr of Re-15 and getting 2870 FPS out of Lapua brass. When I first got the gun everything I read said Varget was the powder for the 6 BR but my gun seems to like the Re-15 better. I have shot Remington all my life and own several but bought my first custom last year. Impact Precision, Bartlien, Fondation stock, built by Area 419. Really nice rig and I enjoy shooting it and that's why I was wondering if anyone used the 6 BR or family for hunting. I'm building on Remington action and thinking seriously about a Bartlein carbon wrapped barrel.

If you end up going with a gun that uses an external magazine you should look into MDT 6BR mags or AI AICS magazines with Primal Rights magazine kits. Both have a good reputation for adressing the issues 6BR has when feeding from a magazine.

Thanks Franko! My bench guns uses the MDT so I will get another. Some states only allow 5-shot mags so that may be an issue.

20191028_145630.jpg

6br - accubonds - no meat loss.

Thumbs up.

I have a 6BR switch barrel. I put an HS Precision mag on it. It does not feed the BR cartridge very well. 6x47 and up does fine.
Well, not really a deer machine, but, I built a 6BR on a SA Rem. for Prairie Dog shooting about 14 years ago.
27" pac-nor SS 1-14 barrel. I short boxed the receiver and used a 223 spring and flower. Feeds great! I shot 65gr.
VMAX going 3576fps., 1/2 moa at 200yds.. If you were to change out barrel I would put a 1-8 on and shoot 105-108 at deer were legal. Should be great deer medicine!

I have a super light weight 6BR that I have hunted deer with. It is built on a Remington 600
action, and has a 22" Shilen pencil thin barrel.

I have shot mule deer and WT deer with this rifle right out to 375 yards. I use the 90 grain
Swift Scirocco II, which works very well indeed.

No deer I have shot with this rifle has gone more than 40 yards after the shot. Bullet exits are
common.

This has a blind magazine, but with cautious removal of metal, it now feeds that short case just
fine. Dave.

I was wondering if anyone uses a 6 BR for hunting deer. I'm not talking mule deer and elk, living in the south our big white tails deer will be 200-250 #'s and 100-300 yards. I would be shooting 105-108 gr. bullets. Just wanted some of you fella's thoughts that may have one and used it for deer hunting.
thanks
Don't see why not. Can't be much different from a 243 Win which has been killing deer for a long time

I was wondering if anyone uses a 6 BR for hunting deer. I'm not talking mule deer and elk, living in the south our big white tails deer will be 200-250 #'s and 100-300 yards. I would be shooting 105-108 gr. bullets. Just wanted some of you fella's thoughts that may have one and used it for deer hunting.
thanks
I killed a decent 4 point mule deer with my 6 BR. I echo 25WSM. My savage action does a terrible job feeding these bullets. Jams easily in the field and the gun is not mag fed. If you spend the money and get the proper mag setup with an appropriate action to ensure consistent feeding, the cartridge itself will work fine for deer and antelope. Similar to a .243 or 6 creed as far as terminal performance. Just pay attention to bullet selection and impact velocity and you will be fine.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.