Stick Dies or not lubing properly?

REDHEAD

I seem to have a problem if I don't use my dies for awhile. The brass really seems to bind going in. I have sprayed the dies out with break-free, helps a little while and start sticking again. I was using Midway spray and had to go back to the old RCBS case lube. Anybody else experience this ?

User error! :p lol

If the problem stops by simply switching back to your old tried and true lube then I venture to guess you isolated your own solution. :)
I've never had good luck with with the fancy-pants spray lubes. To get them to work right for me I had to put brass in a bag then spray them down. Life got better when I switched to Imperial Sizing Die Wax (for FL sizing) and Imperial Dry Neck Lube (for my NS operations).
Definitely worth adding some to your next order. Slicker than snot, and a little goes a looooong way.

Funny..
I went through the same thing while using sizing wax, and the problems were solved with RCBS case lube.
OP, I think you're on the right track.

My brother talked me into the spay stuff. Not long after, got one stuck that had to be drilled out. Entirely my fault but still went back to lube for awhile. I did give the spray another chance, haven't had a problem since.

Listen to what Mutt says, that imperial die wax is the cats $&€%. it does not bind, goes a long way, and actually seasons the dies after a good regular usage of it. Sinclairs carries it. It is less than 10 bucks, and might even last that many years. Put some on your fingers and roll your cases thru on there wat to the press and you are all set. Put some on a bore mop and lube the inside of the mouth too! AIM SMALL,MISS SMALLlightbulb :) 7STW.

I have always wondered if temp could have an effect on this? Not a prob for me anymore in AZ but experianced in the past. Some guys load in temps I don't care to enter unless moose hunting. Hey we all have to deal with where we are located. So do you think it makes a difference say 25 degrees to 75?

Imperial Sizing Wax...... Tried a bunch of different stuff but this is the best.... I keep a little on my fingers and lube the cases when I inspect the brass before loading in the press.... Doesn't take much..... One can goes a long way....

Have had a couple of almost stuck in the last 45 years because I forgot the lube.....I have never tried the imperial sizing wax and it sounds like it works pretty good...Like Wile E Coyote, I have always used "Unique" too....I am only loading a little over a 1000 rounds a year now and not hardly making a dent in my last "tub" of "Unique"....It works great and a little goes a long waaaaaaay...I figure I will run out sometime in the next 10 or 15 years and will try the imperial sizing wax then (that is if I'm not pushing up daisys)....

I've reloaded for a very long time, used a lot of die brands for a lot of cases with a lot of different commercial sizing lubes. The only time I've ever gotten stuck cases was when I didn't apply the lube correctly. Used right, they all work fine in any dies for me.

Silly response I know but you are letting the spray on lube dry before you try to size right? I never read the direction thoroughly when I first started using it had problem so I went back to rolling them on the lube pad. I recently watched Shawns reloading for longrange hunting and he used the spray lube and impressed upon people to make sure to let it dry. Wow it works so much better now but I sure gelt stupid for not reading the directions.

Maybe I should to. Seemed it worked better wet? Has anyone experienced lube build up?

This is your problem! Never use the spray lube wet because you will stick the cases! Use plenty and let it dry, set the cases upright in a stagard pattern and spray all sides. Start doing thus and you will have no more problems with the spray lube, I use hornady one shot. Clean your dies really well and start over. I take them apart and spray them down with carb cleaner and the go through them with alcohol and let them dry, do this from time to time to make sure they are clean as well.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.