RELOADED .270 STICK AND CAN NOT CLOSE BOLT SAKO RIFLE

I fought this rodeo with my Kimber before I had headspace gauges. 30-06 hunted the first year factory ammo and started reloading for it the following spring. With Hornady dies and my Lee shell holder that use for everything else I wasn't bumping the shoulder enough. It would chamber but you could feel the rub on the shoulder. Borrowed an RCBS holder from a friend and it was a touch shorter allowing for .002 shoulder bump. Gave him 5 bucks for his shell holder and it stays with that die set now.
Had a single cartridge not chamber in my 270 once and when I inspected the brass one had gotten through untrimmed and the case mouth was bumping. This was a hard stop on the bolt.
At one time I messed around with bullets seated to jam length where resistance was felt on cam over of the bolt. It's a much softer stop than either of the other two and you'll know if this is the issue with stuck bullets or marking on the bullet when you remove. Never had carbon ring so I'll defer to others there.

After reading all previous posts, I have the following comment (which is basically a compendium of the previous comments): KISS! Eliminate simplist variables first. 1) Based on OP, OP did not FL size. FL on RCBS requires cam over; 2) After FL, measure case length. Trim as necessary. 3) Before P&P, seat bullet at or less than OAL; 4) This could be #1: make sure chamber is clean! If problem persists move to other actions previously recommended. IMHO.

I understand what you are saying but i have full length sized brass on my 300 WBY and had some that wouldnt chamber when I was done that came out of the same gun. Pulled bullets and set the shoulder back a bit further then there was no issue,
Dont know why.
I once had this issue. As far as I could tell it was a case lube issue.

I've reloaded 270 Win for a long time and never had any trouble. Did you size all the brass before loading? If so, the first thing I would do is pull one of the bullets from your reloads and dump the powder and see if it chambers. If it doesn't check your sizing die set up. With the ram all the way up screw the die into the press until it contacts the shell holder then lower the ram and turn the die in another 1/4 turn and lock in place. Run the case into the sizing die slowly and push out the live primer (or you can put a drop of oil in the case to kill the primer but this will also kill any other primers or powder if its not removed). One resized try chambering the case. If this still doesn't chamber you may need to buy a small base sizing die. If the case chambers then it is likely your bullet seating depth.

I've reloaded 270 Win for a long time and never had any trouble. Did you size all the brass before loading? If so, the first thing I would do is pull one of the bullets from your reloads and dump the powder and see if it chambers. If it doesn't check your sizing die set up. With the ram all the way up screw the die into the press until it contacts the shell holder then lower the ram and turn the die in another 1/4 turn and lock in place. Run the case into the sizing die slowly and push out the live primer (or you can put a drop of oil in the case to kill the primer but this will also kill any other primers or powder if its not removed). One resized try chambering the case. If this still doesn't chamber you may need to buy a small base sizing die. If the case chambers then it is likely your bullet seating depth.

Had this happen to me too, I wasn't sizing the brass down far enough. My brass had the very slightest bump right near the base and wouldn't chamber or let the bolt close.

If your dies are in spec, and your chamber is in spec, eg; you do not have any trouble with factory-loaded ammo, then it's Occam's razor, it must be the Win brass. Good luck.

Lyman makes a case gauge that is similar to what was mentioned by rammac.
They are in stock at several retailers and are slightly more affordable.
A headspace or case gauge will save you from getting all the way to loaded rounds that won't chamber... The Lyman versions are machined to minimum SAAMI specs, so after you resize your brass, drop it in the case checker and make sure the rim of the cartridge is sitting flush or slightly below. If so, it should chamber in any SAAMI spec barrel.

It is possible that your bullet seating die is set to low the result will be a case that will bulge where it necks down this could be as little as .005" not enough to see so you need to measure the case right at the bend where it necks down.
compare it to a fired case for a diameter that came out of the same
gun.

I am reloading .270 using rcbs dies , sierra 130 grain bullets , cases were checked for length RELOADED SHELLS WILL NOT FIT IN SAKO BOLT WILL NOT CLOSE. WHAT GIVE ME ANY SUGGESTIONS.AM I DOING WRONG. i have ordered new calipher and going to measure each winchester casing CAN
Are you using a Full Length Sizing Die or are you just Neck Sizing? Do you have a Case Gauge? You really need one.

fired cases should go in the chamber, unless you are using 2 different rifles. My bet is case overall length, with camover not set the second choice.

HM

Have you made a TEST ROUND yet??? Take a FL Sized empty case, no Primer , seat the bullet you like, and make a TEST ROUND 15 thousands over Max COAL, then gently try to chamber it, then back off the seating depth ,in 5 thousands increments , and try to chamber again, keep doing that until to get just the right amount of pressure needed to close the bolt. You may find , with that particular bullet , you may be 5 to 10 thousands Under Max Coal. ( Its really the OGIVE that matters) . The .270 Win Hunting Loads I make for my Weatherby Ultralight Deer Rifle , will not chamber in my Winchester Model 70 Super Grade, using the same 130 Grn Nosler Ballistic tips. Just cannot close the bolt on the Winchester with those loads. . The COAL and OGIVE must be shorter, with that particular bullet, to work in the Winchester Model 70. So I have blue plastic boxes that say " 270 Win. Winchester Model 70 Only " or " 270 Win Weatherby Ultralight Only". I'm ok with that !

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.