Setting up dies "properly"

KineKilla

I just finished reading this thread:

In many of the posts, users mention "properly set up dies". What specifically does this mean?

A little back story on myself...I have been reloading for a number of years now. No competition shooting or anything like that but lots of hunting here in the west.

Recently I had some cases split (case head separation) on my 7mm mag after only 3-4 firings. I've always loaded for this rifle the same way (once load development was done, which didn't take long). Nothing extreme, well within max published load, shoots fantastic in this rifle.

160gr Accubond over 61gr of RL-22 using Federal or Winchester primers.

So, I begin researching why this may be happening. Thin brass (bad batch), excessive chamber specs, over working the cases, etc. all come up as likely culprits.

I have always FL sized my brass after each firing. Many suggested I back my dies out so that I am just "bumping" the shoulder back about .002" or so. Fair enough, easy to do.

The thing that has me really hung up is that my fired brass measures 2.1185avg. During the sizing and "bumping" process it grows to as much as 2.124 before I make contact with the shoulder and it begins to shrink. So in my mind, the stretching (damage) is already done before I even get the neck sized.

New brass measures 2.101, btw.

So, I buy a neck sizing die. I haven't used it yet but people are recommending I not use it for hunting loads...back to square 1.

BTW, the rifle will close on cases 2.120 and maybe even higher, I ran out of fired brass before I got to the top end of its chamber dimensions.

So am I supposed to be bumping shoulders .002 +/- from my fired case size (2.1185) or from the max my chamber will accept or from the max length my die makes them become (2.124) during the sizing process?

So confused. Sorry for the long post but if I've learned anything from forums, it's that more information usually generates better help.

Thanks.

Attachments

• 20200426_180159.jpg
    20200426_180159.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 250
  • 20200426_180154.jpg
    20200426_180154.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 235
first do a search on how a stripped bolt closes on properly sized brass.
then size THAT WAY. YES .001/.002 shoulder setback and brass should last longer, ammo shoot better.
yes brass grows in length as the body is sized down, then the shoulder is bumped. commercial chamber commercial dies.

Thanks, I'll search that.

I did pull the ejector pin and spring out of my bolt while test fitting brass to remove the resistance the pin adds. I can fit brass at least 2.120 maybe longer, I need to go shoot so I have more brass to test.

pull the firing pin and spring.
tool is inexpensive, pays for itself in saved brass.
might try amazon.

I really dont know anything about belted magnums but I have been primarily neck sizing sizing for 10+ years & dont have any issues hunting with the ammo.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion on it.

In some of my cartridges I do not FL size for 5 or 6 firings.

But even when I do FL size I use a FL NK bushing die.

It's the FL sizing. With a belted mag, there is no sense in bumping .001/.002 until you've found "tight." Neck size until you've found "tight" with the bolt stripped, then bump. It takes several firings with neck sizing before being able to headspace off the shoulder on all my belted mags. But you want to find this point for consistency. Lee collet neck sizers work great. Good luck!

Depending on the pressures you are running, you may get a few firings before your shoulder grows enough to be a tight fit in your chamber that makes it difficult to close the bolt. When I first started reloading, I thought I was full length resizing but after my third or fourth reload, I noticed the loaded rounds were sometimes stiff to close the bolt. If you never get that shoulder to this point and continue to "bump the shoulder back", you are continually headspacing off of the belt and stretching your brass every firing. This will lead to premature case head separations.

Lee collet neck sizers work great. Good luck!
Second that.........whether neck sizing only or bumping with a full length die less spindle and expander the collet neck die will give you the least runout I have found. No lube, don't work the brass much, and leaves neck straight. About $30....what have you got to loose?

Measure your fired 7mm mag cases just above the belt before and after resizing, measure the same place with unfired cases. Compare the measurements to determine if your sizing die is returning the area above the belt close enough to spec, .513". Then Research Belted Magnum Collet resizing die by Innovative Technologies . I'm not advertising for this guy, but just thinking about investing in one of his dies for my 300 Win Mag.

I can see where my dies stop sizing a hair above the belt. The separation occurs a bit above that even.

I've loaded hundreds of these same rounds the same way and have just recently started having the issue. I'm not certain that this latest batch of cases isn't adding to the problem...maybe a thin batch from Hornady.

I'm going to dig around in my recycle bucket to see if I have some fired brass I can use to adjust the dies and do some more experimenting.

I have always scrapped my brass after 4 firings so I should have a bunch in the bucket.

New brass 2.101...fired brass from 2.1185-2.120.....seems excessive to me. But you gotta work with what you have.

I would set the sizing die up to bump the shoulder back .002 on the longest piece of brass. The shorter ones will eventually catch up....maybe....running a "mild" load and chunking them after four firings they may never get completely ironed out.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.