Proper way to set up dies

linksmechanic

I have been reloading for awhile now and have been following the instructions of the manufactures. I've beening alot of different ways to set up dies and want to know the right way for both f/l and neck sizing. Also I just bought some nosler brass do I need to f/l size it or can I just neck size it?

I'm no bench rest shooter, but I do read alot and try to make good loads. If I want the most uniform loads possible, I will fl size a new case. The likelyhood that they are deformed is not very good, but I use Winchester, Remington or whatever else the local shop has, and their quality is lower than Norma.
As far as setting dies, I recomend putting pressure against the die w/ the ram before and while you tighten the collet on all your dies (trues the die to the press and reduces runout). For the seater die, I use a machined washer that is true to do this because you don't want to set the seater die to touch the ram. I also use a bushing to give me the most consistent seating depth ( I took a washer that the cartidge fit inside of and filed it down to true it up).
I a about to try to use some cases that I neck sized w/out a ball expander because I've read that the expander ball is the number one cause for bullet runout.
I don't know much, but I'm happy to share my ignorance! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.