Some Long Range Bulls....

Sapphire

OK, NOT so long range. I just discovered this site and have a recent obsession with setting up a long range gun, but thought I'd share my last few bulls. I think the total yardarge of the three is right at 230 yards!!!

Montana has been good to me the last few years!
250elkbackrs-1.jpg

Menoorangehat.jpg

MeBullHeadonFirRSmorelight.jpg

I LOVE hunting elk in the snow! Since this is sort of a gun related site...I killed them with a Browning Abolt 06' with 168 Grain Barnes TSX or TTSX's....

He has nice thirds, but he has insane 4ths! (24 inches) I am ecstatic with finding that bull!

He grosses 383 3/4 and net a dead even 375 0/8.... couldn't hardly ask for more!

Are any of you getting acceptable LR accurracy out of the Barnes??

I have a light 308win that I hunt with a bunch. It loves all Barnes bullets. Everything else I have either does not shoot them well or I do not care for the lower b.c. Great bullet on elk from my experience.

I have hunted MT for 36 yrs. and I cant find a abull like that,good job.A guy I used to run into in the mountains w/40 + elk shoots the 30-06

There are some big time elk slayers out there. I am NOT one of them. I have worked real hard to kill the 6 bulls I've killed and a few cows over about 13 yrs... I do seem to finally getting betterthough, as I have killed 3 six points in 3 years now...

the barnes do not have very good ballistics but they work awesome on animals. I dont think anything could work better. I have recovered several bullets from elk and deer and all have weighed exactly what they weighed when I loaded them. I shoot 257 wby and was using 100gr now Im shooting bergers 115. Where did you get those bulls? No tell canyon?lol
Awesome bulls!

Last edited:
Here's a couple more views of this bull.... I dont mind showing him off!!
MeBullSideSmileRSmorelight.jpg

And some bleached out...
straightonY.jpg

slightangleright.jpg

And here is where I found my 168 TTSX and what it looked like.... went though both shoulders and died at the end...
BarnesTTSXrs.jpg

Great pics, and a huge bull indeed. I've grown up hunting here in MT and by best bull looks more like your 08 bull, which I'm proud of! Nice work and welcome to the site.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.