Not long range but some kind range Elk

BowElkStalker

Our shooting range is in the Helena Nt Forest and up on the divide. This last week someone was doing a little shooting and as he was putting his gear away a 6X6 bull elk steps out on the range and got sighted in ongun)

That is Montana slob hunting at its best.

Out of season I presume? In the spring we get big game animals of all sorts wandering around at tempting distances near our range... but it's spring. I always felt sorry for the poor little bugger ground squirrels that decided to come out near the 250 yards stands right after we got our rifles sighted dead on at that range.

There's never a shortage of idiots who have to make life difficult for the rest of us.

Nope, last week and It is Big Game season. Now this is leased FS property to the local club but I do not think it would be any different than a rancher leasing FS to graze? It is still public lands.

In that case, I will have to change my mind. I've worked awfully hard for a lot of elk that were packed out on my back. If it's legal I'm okay with that.

Thats the one. I don't know what side it was on, either the 100yrd or the 200-300yrd side? I went up saturday morning but the wind was howling and blowing snow so I shot a little at the pistol range. Went to get my hair cut and my barber asked if I saw the gut pile? What, I thought he was joking. Their is a sign that says no hunting so I don't know if a investagation by the club will insue?

It is no hunting at our range C.falls, MT. Not sure about property behind, but a herd of elk where out this year as I prepped for speed goat. They split and a bear came out at about 800 eating huckle berries, and hung around for a 1/2 hr.of shooting below. I had my spotting scope and some folks enjoyed the show

It is no hunting at our range C.falls, MT. Not sure about property behind, but a herd of elk where out this year as I prepped for speed goat. They split and a bear came out at about 800 eating huckle berries, and hung around for a 1/2 hr.of shooting below. I had my spotting scope and some folks enjoyed the show

Is that the range that the Big Horn sheep cross at? I heard that it is a lot of fun to watch them when they do.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.