Not long range but I'll take it!

Congratulations!! You're spoiled now for sure. Punching your 1st elk tag on a fine bull that you can slide downhill into the truck!!!!

Congrats! I also took my first bull this year. Although i had to quater mine and pack him out of a canyon. Good memories for sure.

It's been available for a while now but hard to find for some reason. The advertised BC of .509 is overrated quite a bit. I use .488 G1 or .249 G7 in my Shooter app and its been good to 800 on paper. Not an ideal long range bullet but a great all around bullet. I was pretty impressed by the terminal results on that bull. It broke both front shoulders. I found the slug under the hide on the off side. It was a picture perfect bonded mushroom and weighed 82gr for nearly 60% retention.

It's been available for a while now but hard to find for some reason. The advertised BC of .509 is overrated quite a bit. I use .488 G1 or .249 G7 in my Shooter app and its been good to 800 on paper. Not an ideal long range bullet but a great all around bullet. I was pretty impressed by the terminal results on that bull. It broke both front shoulders. I found the slug under the hide on the off side. It was a picture perfect bonded mushroom and weighed 82gr for nearly 60% retention.

I have noticed the same thing. I forget what I found for a bc but it was much less than advertised. Only tested it to 719 yards but was quite a bit lower than predicted. The 140sst on the other hand has been the opposite. It was only 2" lower at 719 yards than the Berger VLD and only 10 fps faster at the muzzle. The 300 yard zeros are exactly the same. It worked out to .602.

What was your muzzle velocity?

BTW, congrats on a nice bull.

M

My chrony was showing 3220 but with my shooter app I am using 3200 and its been good to 650 so far. The 140gr SST's shot really well for me as well. I didn't work with them much for accuracy or range. I had a box sitting on the bench and just used them for fire forming but I was tearing up prarie dogs at 320 consistantly with that load. I may play with them after what you said about them shooting close to the Bergers.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts