Long Range Elk Hunt

This area is made for the 338 Allen type rifles. Weather permiting you can shoot at elk as far as you can hit one. Not uncommon looking at 2-3 small groups at a time and the guy who can shoot the furthest gets the biggest bull because he can hit the one in the group way out there. Just remember this is not trophy hunting. 99.999% of Colorado elk are small raghorns but they have plenty of them making a fun hunt.

What part of colorado exactly is the area? I am definitely interested. I am having a 338 AM being built as we speak and would love to stretch it out next year. I have a 30378 WBY with a 30 Lijia barrel on it that is shooting great rt now but would be taking the 338AM.

I'm a Carolina flatlander and I would be a rookie to elk hunting but not long range shooting. I would definitely be interested if its ok with the rest of the crew!

I have my own riding/pack animals and would be interested. Did an archery pack trip this year byself and got a nice 330+ bull --- on your own is a lot of work ---- sharing a camp could be a lot of fun.

I just saw this thread and wondered if this hunt ever got off the ground. I am an experienced elk guide and hunter and just lost my ranch I hunted in Wyoming (left ranch to guide in New Mexico). I try to hunt at least 3 states each year and this looked like something I may be interested in.
I'm just getting into this long range shooting, I've killed 28 elk with a rifle but only 1 over 300 yards. I'm having a 300 WSM being built that will be delivered some time mid summer and I hope to have it ready to hunt with in 2012.
I'm in good shape, but at 57 years old I realize I'm probably on the last 1/4 tank of my elk hunting life, also at this stage I really enjoy a cow hunt as much as a bull hunt. I'm pretty well set each year for hunting in both New Mexico and Utah but would like to hunt one other state in the right situation.
Thanks Gator

I just saw this thread and wondered if this hunt ever got off the ground. I am an experienced elk guide and hunter and just lost my ranch I hunted in Wyoming (left ranch to guide in New Mexico). I try to hunt at least 3 states each year and this looked like something I may be interested in.
I'm just getting into this long range shooting, I've killed 28 elk with a rifle but only 1 over 300 yards. I'm having a 300 WSM being built that will be delivered some time mid summer and I hope to have it ready to hunt with in 2012.
I'm in good shape, but at 57 years old I realize I'm probably on the last 1/4 tank of my elk hunting life, also at this stage I really enjoy a cow hunt as much as a bull hunt. I'm pretty well set each year for hunting in both New Mexico and Utah but would like to hunt one other state in the right situation.
Thanks Gator

Unfortunately it did not. The dates for the season changed that year. The season became later than usual which meant the area would have too much snow and drive the elk down into the timber. LTLR might reply an give you more details.

Thanks, and gcamp is right on. The five year seasons changed right after I posted that and caused the hunt to be to late in the season with a high risk of heavy snow that high pushing the elk out. That year there was heavy snow. Last year I helped my brother and his wife and they got several shots at very nice bulls but did not connect. This year I carried a couple of friends and the snow was so deep we had to turn back after busting through 3-4 feet of snow for a while with the horses trying to pack in. We hunted lower and saw several nice bulls. Unfortunately this area has become inundated with hunters the past couple of years and is not what it was. Here are a couple pictures from the low country area we moved to.

010.jpg

013.jpg

Thanks Len, It's so hard being retired and living out here in this rough and rugged remote country with all the inclement weather and wolves and grizzlies that can eat you. But I decided if somebody had to do it I would be courteous and volunteer.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.