So much for: "They don't build em' like they used to."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not quite sure how you became an expert on barrels when all you sell are muzzle brakes.
JE Custom has been gunsmithing probably longer than you've been alive! Barrel 'break-in' might not mean much on a custom barrel as the only 'burrs' or roughness might be in the throat left by the reamer, but so small they aren't even visible through the 25x Hawkeye, IF IT'S A GOOD HAND LAPPED BARREL! A 'break-in' on a factory barrel might just burnish the high spots enough that it is not the 'copper mine' it might have been without the break-in. Will it remove the 'drill marks'? No, but it may burnish the high/ruff edges that are cutting the copper off the jackets. Do what you want, 3/4" ain't nothin' to brag about. If you fire lap enough to remove the 'drill marks' the bore will be over sized.

Last edited:
JE Custom has been gunsmithing probably longer than you've been alive! Barrel 'break-in' might not mean much on a custom barrel as the only 'burrs' or roughness might be in the throat left by the reamer, but so small they aren't even visible through the 25x Hawkeye, IF IT'S A GOOD HAND LAPPED BARREL! A 'break-in' on a factory barrel might just burnish the high spots enough that it is not the 'copper mine' it might have been without the break-in. Will it remove the 'drill marks'? No, but it may burnish the high/ruff edges that are cutting the copper off the jackets. Do what you want, 3/4" ain't nothin' to brag about. If you fire lap enough to remove the 'drill marks' the bore will be over sized.

Have you tried fire lapping?

I'd like to hear what kind of results people have got with fire lapping. I've had a few factory barrels that are as smooth as asphalt. What are you using to fire lap with?
Shep

Have you tried fire lapping?
As an accuracy minded gunsmith, I use only hand lapped barrels. Why would I mess with the crap factories seem push out the door? I gave up on 'factory' 30yrs ago! Same reason I won't use a Wilson or Shaw barrel. Be aware that fire lapping can and will lengthen the throat substantially. I have had clients that have fire lapped. Some can live with the results, and some can't. At least 1 completely trash a Savage barrel trying to remove all the tool marks. Seems to me that 10 shots, cleaning between each one, might be a bit more cost effective, just to see if their's an improvement, than the $30 or so that a lapping kit might cost. And, the OP mentioned "factory ammo". Tubbs might sell .244/6mm Rem. and he might not.

I've built custom rifles for 30 yrs and yes the use of custom barrels is a wise choice. But I have lots of customers that just want a basic accuacy package. Glass bedding, recrown, trigger adjustment and bed the base. Most rifles will shoot right around 1/2 moa with this treatment. But some barrels just are horrendous copper mines and if a little fire lapping can reduce that it might be worth it. Barrel break in is definitely worth the effort in my opinion but it's just not enough on some of these factory barrels.
Shep

The barrel "break-in" as generally described is not intended to remove all the tool marks in the barrel. It's primary purpose is to smooth out the cross-sectional marks left in the throat area by the reamer. Some custom makers will address this, some don't and they will recommend a break-in process. The Remington 700 Milspecs And Military M-24 rifles specifically required a break-in process. My Milspecs and several other rifles, both factory and custom(barrels) showed a noted improvement in carbon removal, usually in less then a 20 round break-in process, It's not a big deal, particularly if you combine it with initial sight-in and load development. Tooling marks that occur in the length of the barrel is a whole different discussion and barrel break-in will have little, if any effect in removing them using a break in procedure. IMO

Curious as to what weight bullets you are shooting in that old 244. Should have a 1-12 twist, maybe even 1-14 and shouldn't shoot anything over about 90 grains. That's why Rem went to the 6mm name and 1-9 twist.

I'd like to hear what kind of results people have got with fire lapping. I've had a few factory barrels that are as smooth as asphalt. What are you using to fire lap with?
Shep
A friend did it on a factory rem 700 factory .223 and it made a very noticable difference on how smooth and easy a patch pushed through. Hard to tell on the accuracy though, because he did a few other things out of an at home accurizing book at the same time (cleaned up the crown with a brass ball and lapping compound and lapped the reciever threads for better contact). The gun did shoot better after that. He used the tubbs final finish bore lapping stuff. He just was bored and had a gun that didn't shoot great and found that book and figured it was worth a try on that rifle for the cost of a brass screw, lapping compound and some of tubb's bullets. For a bored guy on a weekend 15 years or so ago, I thought it was worth it for him. The gun went from 3/4-1 moa down to half moa or a little better on most groups. The ease of cleaning was the best for him though. The cleaning pushed pretty rough and jerky before he did that. Even after it still wasn't like cleaning a hand lapped barrel though.

Maybe this will help.

A while back I decided to do a different test while doing a break in and this was the results.

Post # 20

Here is the second test.

And yet another test with a new barrel.

After doing another test in a different caliber I liked the results and do every rifle that I break in this way.

In my mind, this will prove that break in helps. Like Shortgrass, I don't build custom rifles on cheep or factory barrels and both of these rifles were done with custom barrels that were hand lapped and normally the consensus is that break in is not necessary, so you can judge for your self.

J E CUSTOM

Last edited:
Do a proper break in now that you have it supper clean. I recommend the shoot and clean method do at least 10 shots with a cleaning between every shot and then look at it before shooting groups. You might be surprised what improvements appear. If the results are not better, the do the fire lapping.

Just a suggestion

J E CUSTOM
When a fella like J E throws out a suggestion...any suggestions I for one would look at it with serious intent.....what the H - -l is 10 rounds? Some things don't need to be complicated, and you are right about barrel break in....no one can agree on the subject....I never did it until I bought my last three precision rifles...better now to err on the side of caution... anything that MAY HELP...CANT HURT

Perhaps but it still drops 5 in 3/4"

Fire lapping has saved many barrel for me and others.

I notice you ducked my challenge as we both know that 10 shots won't remove all the marks typical in almost any new low to medium priced rifle's factory barrel.

Not quite sure how you became an expert on barrels when all you sell are muzzle brakes.

I'll be posting before and after bore scope pics of the 244 barrel as well as groups w/premium factory ammo.
JE is an expert and this is just a heads up Mr I Joined Aug 1, 2020, Read the Forum Rules as its's oblivious you haven't and show some respect or I'll doubt you'll last another month, Len won't put up with it as well as many others, Your not any Kin to MudRunner by chance are ya ????? I'd suggest apologize to JE first off

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.