So much for: "They don't build em' like they used to."

Status
Not open for further replies.

HappyWarrior

Had my ancient 722 244 forever. Now it's sitting a Hogue stock with a 15X 2" Unertl on it.

It's always shot well --- .75 MOA and I never did any fancy cleaning. After reading all the good stuff about Bore Tech products, I bought all of the stuff from Midway, red the instructions and went at it.

Almost ran out of patches before I gave up on not getting blue green ones.

Ran 3 w/Acetone and 3 dry down the bore and fired up the bore scope. Holy drill marks Batman !

End to end in the grooves are drill marks that the button did not smooth out. I've had several 722s and 721s and none looked like this. Gonna try fire lapping tomorrow and see.

That failing I have the perfect excuse to buy a Varmint weight in 243 AI !

Do a proper break in now that you have it supper clean. I recommend the shoot and clean method do at least 10 shots with a cleaning between every shot and then look at it before shooting groups. You might be surprised what improvements appear. If the results are not better, the do the fire lapping.

Just a suggestion

J E CUSTOM

Uh, the rifle has seen well over 500 rounds. Shooting 10 more won't change anything. Those drill marks are not gonna vanish w/o lapping.

If the rifle has never been broke in you would be surprised how much it could help If it was not broken in in the beginning and not cleaned often the copper fouling will protect the bore and prevent it from ever breaking in. The bullet must touch every surface during firing. (The reason for the shoot and clean method. I have done a brake in on many barrels with hundreds of rounds through them that could only muster one MOA and they improved.

just a suggestion that might save the barrel.

J E CUSTOM

Well McMillan said BREAK in was a fraud and he made 1000s of prize winning barrels.

Do you really believe that 10 shots, cleaning between each will remove drill marks from a barrel ?
Really ? I'd love to see you take a typical new Savage barrel, full of drill marks, run 10 rounds thru it and have them vanish. Before and after pics please.

Believe what you want.

Also If any barrel had that many rounds through it and still had machine marks still in it, It was never a good barrel and should have been rejected.

Sorry you wont try to save a barrel.

J E CUSTOM

Well McMillan said BREAK in was a fraud and he made 1000s of prize winning barrels.

Do you really believe that 10 shots, cleaning between each will remove drill marks from a barrel ?
Really ? I'd love to see you take a typical new Savage barrel, full of drill marks, run 10 rounds thru it and have them vanish. Before and after pics please.
John Krieger doesn't break in his personal barrels either, but many have had great luck with it. I have gone back and forth for years. I would try what JE suggests. It might work out for you with very little effort. We all build a lot of rifle and shoot even more with pretty good success :) Either way, God bless and post results with whatever avenue you take.

Perhaps but it still drops 5 in 3/4"

Fire lapping has saved many barrel for me and others.

I notice you ducked my challenge as we both know that 10 shots won't remove all the marks typical in almost any new low to medium priced rifle's factory barrel.

Not quite sure how you became an expert on barrels when all you sell are muzzle brakes.

I'll be posting before and after bore scope pics of the 244 barrel as well as groups w/premium factory ammo.

Who sells muzzle brakes? 5 shots in 3/4" is pretty good. I will be curious to see how it shoots after.

Who says that the marks are bad? How are they bad? I keep being told that a perfectly smooth rifled bore is not a good thing. If the surfaces aren't perfectly smooth then there are surface marks and irregularities, which are also labeled as bad. Someone please make up your mind, which is it?

Some/many don't believe in brake in and I have no problem with that but the advantages far out weigh No Break in.

If you do a proper break In this will normally happen.
1= The barrel will not foul as bad in the beginning.
2 = the barrel will become accurate sooner reducing the amount of load development and prevent missing a good load that shoots well once the barrel is broke in.
Barrels that are not broke in will eventually get there, but will take many more rounds and will have many more fired through it before reaching it's accuracy potential.
So does it need to be broke in? Not if you don't care how long or how many rounds you have to fire through your barrel to reach the accuracy pinnacle.

Since I started doing brake In, Load development has been completed in less than 30 rounds (Most of the time 20 Rounds) Before brake in, Some barrels would take 50+ and several took over 150 to settle down.

:cool: :cool: :cool:
I am only trying to recommend brake in because of the advantage it offers. If someone doesn't want to do a brake in, so be it. I can only recommend it and leave it at that.

J E CUSTOM

Status
Not open for further replies.