Snake boots, which ones are you using and why ?

cheechin

I once had the opportunity to be able to hunt So. Missouri for hogs and deer. The landowner tells me that they have a lot of rattlers and copperheads down there. Cottonmouths in the lower part, not so much by him. I was looking at boots at Cabelas on line and was not very impressed.
I saw that they are not waterproof like advertised. So if they lack that advertised quality, what about the snake proofness? What do you wear and how long have they lasted you? That was another quality that I saw was rather poor.

We have the deadliest snakes in the world here in Australia but it's extremely rare that someone actually dies from snakebite. A couple of people get bitten every year but it's usually because they are trying to catch them. Personally I've never been worried about them, probably something to do with growing up seeing Eastern or King Browns almost daily. Still gets the heart going when you almost step on one while you're hunting though! If I were you I'd be looking at a pair of gaiters over another pair of boots. I'm not sure what you can get in the US but these guys make some good stuff out here. https://www.moroka30.com.au/snake-proof-gaiters-c-66/

morning, here in TX. ever once and a while we have to
clean our pants out because of close calls with rattlesnakes.
I use a pair of leg gaiters. now the guys in south who
hunt hogs in brush use the full legs gaiters. they strap to
ur belt loops and pants. U HAVE TO WATCH WHERE U PUT UR
HANDS AND FEET. makes for messy pants. keeps
heart surgeons in business. justme gbot tum

D077EAF8-AF90-45E9-AF29-623F1A78E880.jpeg
Outfitting/guiding in South Texas, you'd better be wearing snake boots. Justin and Chippewa are the most common around my camps.....I wear Justin myself....both are comfortable, easy on and off when you get back to camp, and very durable.

Hunting for many years in Texas, have worn a few different brands, as mentioned above Justin's and Chippewa's are always a great go to snake boot. Just purchased a pair of Danner Sharptail snake boots. Super comfortable from day one. Can not confirm their waterproof standing yet.

I heavily apply Obenauf's Beeswax on all my hunting boots including my Justin snake boots before ever wearing them, then wear them a few days and re-apply Obenauf's again and never have a problem with being waterproof......the beeswax also makes them soft and there is virtually no break in period! I re-apply beeswax and/or Obenauf's oil every year!

I heavily apply Obenauf's Beeswax on all my hunting boots including my Justin snake boots before ever wearing them, then wear them a few days and re-apply Obenauf's again and never have a problem with being waterproof......the beeswax also makes them soft and there is virtually no break in period! I re-apply beeswax and/or Obenauf's oil every year!

Great practice that will keep your boots alive a lot longer for sure! I do the same with Danner's boot dressing. When new and every year after.

I once had the opportunity to be able to hunt So. Missouri for hogs and deer. The landowner tells me that they have a lot of rattlers and copperheads down there. Cottonmouths in the lower part, not so much by him. I was looking at boots at Cabelas on line and was not very impressed.
I saw that they are not waterproof like advertised. So if they lack that advertised quality, what about the snake proofness? What do you wear and how long have they lasted you? That was another quality that I saw was rather poor.

I did try the Cabelas snakes boots. Only lasted 2 years. Decided to try the Danner's Sharptails as mentioned. I have had very good results from my other Danner boots.

I have the older Danner pronghorns without the side zipper. They use Gore Tex. They are excellent boots and comfortable. I like to use them for deer hunting etc. as the tall tops are like gators and keep you pant legs from getting wet and stop dirt from getting you your boots. Also great for crossing deeper creeks.

Moved to texas in 2017- went with a pair of Danner Jackals that were on sale- comfortable but the lacing up and down sucks. Figured there was a reason every native texan I hunted with had Chippewas... so I got a pair.

If you are only using em for a hunt or two a year maybe get the lace up cheaper ones... if youre gonna be in em for the better part of the season get a leather pair that slips on and will last!

Moved to texas in 2017- went with a pair of Danner Jackals that were on sale- comfortable but the lacing up and down sucks. Figured there was a reason every native texan I hunted with had Chippewas... so I got a pair.

If you are only using em for a hunt or two a year maybe get the lace up cheaper ones... if youre gonna be in em for the better part of the season get a leather pair that slips on and will last!
EXACTLY!!! I'll be 65 years old next month and have spent my entire life in the South Texas Brush Country coming from a ranching family and being in the Hunting Business in South Texas and Mexico for over 30 years and you can't beat Chippewas or Justins......easy on, easy off.....it's too easy to not put snake boots on for a quick trip out in the pasture if you have to stop and lace them up and you never know when the one time you need them is going to happen! With pull ons, it's just too easy to take a few seconds to pull them on and go! Just an opinion from an "Old Cowboy/Outfitter/Hunter"!

ive got the danner pronghorn ones, they work well for me and are very comfortable and have great grip fr climbing rocky or steep terrain--I prefer lace up boots as I climb/hike lots of rocky hills and steep terrain and they keep my ankles more secure than pull on boots---they seem to be waterproof enough to take a few steps across streams, but I don't go sloshing around in the water all day long to know how waterproof they really are. they keep dew covered grass from getting my feet wet and I just stay clear of deep water

I use mine here in colorado for archery season or muzzleloader season as the rattlers can still be out, but usually by rifle season the temps have dropped enough or I'm high enough on the mountain that I then wear my insulated regular hunting boots. I did take a hog hunting trip to Texas once and I was glad I wore my snake boots for comfort in my mind, never had to test them out so far--and hope I never do either

the lace up boots can be hotter on the feet than the pull on ones though so it depends on where you are hunting too. If you are looking for 100% waterproof snake boots then look at the pull on rubber boot style--several manufactures sell them

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.