Snake boots, which ones are you using and why ?

Here are the images: one ahows the time I was loaded in to the ambulance, the other one is the followong day and my leg is all swollen up

Attachments

• 20160326_182441.jpg
    20160326_182441.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 191
  • 20160328_204538.jpg
    20160328_204538.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 214
If you are looking for 100% waterproof snake boots then look at the pull on rubber boot style--several manufactures sell them
That's always been my question. In my head I would think that your standard cheap pull on rubber boots would stop most snake bites, but in the pit of my stomach, I want somebody with actual experience to verify this. Anybody really know if they would work?
Anybody work in a rattle snake round up pit? What do you use?

I have a pair of Justin Snake rated boots that come up almost to my knee, but they were a royal PIA to break in because the leather is so thick and they are heavy to try and walk in for any distance. Usually I just wear my cowboy boots and my Chainsaw pants when wandering around in brush areas, usually looking for a wounded hog. I figure if the Chainsaw pants (5 layers of Kevlar) will stop a chainsaw blade going at full throttle, they will stop a Hog slash and a Buzz tail. They are also considerably cheaper (I think i paid around $80.00) than the custom made Leather chaps I had made, and/or the Snake boots. Got them at a Chain saw supply store. (Husquarvana?)

I would think that since most Snake bites are on the calf of the leg, this should protect me.

Haven't had a snake try to bite me yet, but have come close a couple of times in the SW Texas brush!

Just for what it is worth!
41149-a432c823d5071b98b3691a8c1814bc84.jpg

I have nothing against politicians, just think everybody ought to own one!

I have a pair of Justin Snake rated boots that come up almost to my knee, but they were a royal PIA to break in because the leather is so thick and they are heavy to try and walk in for any distance. Usually I just wear my cowboy boots and my Chainsaw pants when wandering around in brush areas, usually looking for a wounded hog. I figure if the Chainsaw pants (5 layers of Kevlar) will stop a chainsaw blade going at full throttle, they will stop a Hog slash and a Buzz tail. They are also considerably cheaper (I think i paid around $80.00) than the custom made Leather chaps I had made, and/or the Snake boots. Got them at a Chain saw supply store. (Husquarvana?)

I would think that since most Snake bites are on the calf of the leg, this should protect me.

Haven't had a snake try to bite me yet, but have come close a couple of times in the SW Texas brush!

Just for what it is worth!

I've broke in several pair of Justin Snake boots and they're real easy to break in:
Put them on and stand in ankle deep water in the bathtub until they're wet through and through....then wear them until noon or so and then put on dry socks and wear them until they dry....then treat them with Obenaufs Heavy Duty beeswax....wear them a couple of days and then treat them with Obenaufs Oil.
After wearing them wet until dry, they'll fit to your feet and the beeswax and oil will soften them to be extremely comfortable! I've done this for all of my boots for many many years and have shown this to many of my hunters who are Amazed! Even on boots that they're about to throw away! I repeat the beeswax and oil every year.... keeps them waterproof and soft!
DA31AEC3-AF26-4F93-8952-D11B788261DC.jpeg 423531C9-1DC9-4C8F-A555-7D566A3958F7.jpeg

I've had Lacrosse Venom 18" Snakeboots for three seasons now and really like the boot, very comfortable and they came highly reviewed online. I have been very happy with my purchase.

[I've broke in several pair of Justin Snake boots and they're real easy to break in:
Put them on and stand in ankle deep water in the bathtub until they're wet through and through....then wear them until noon or so and then put on dry socks and wear them until they dry....then treat them with Obenaufs Heavy Duty beeswax....wear them a couple of days and then treat them with Obenaufs Oil.
After wearing them wet until dry, they'll fit to your feet and the beeswax and oil will soften them to be extremely comfortable! I've done this for all of my boots for many many years and have shown this to many of my hunters who are Amazed! Even on boots that they're about to throw away! I repeat the beeswax and oil every year.... keeps them waterproof and soft!]

stx,
Now you tell me! Was just following the old Army way of soaking them and walking them til they are dry. They still weigh a ton though and if hiking the hills and brush, prefer something lighter! But thanks, will try to remember this, however anymore have trouble remembering my own name, let alone address and phone number! My lady friend wants me to wear a chain around my neck with all this data on a tag in case I get lost! ....LOL

I wear the Chippawa slip-on snake boots. Wear them in the spring while coyote and turkey hunting. It is usually wet out that time of year and I need boots that are also waterproof. I have had 3 pair of lace-up type boots and each were waterproof and each of them leaked around the tongue and lacing. The Chippapwa's slip-on boots do not leak.

[QUOTE="cohunt, If you are looking for 100% waterproof snake boots then look at the pull on rubber boot style--several manufactures sell them[/QUOTE]

condoms dont say 100% either.

I once had the opportunity to be able to hunt So. Missouri for hogs and deer. The landowner tells me that they have a lot of rattlers and copperheads down there. Cottonmouths in the lower part, not so much by him. I was looking at boots at Cabelas on line and was not very impressed.
I saw that they are not waterproof like advertised. So if they lack that advertised quality, what about the snake proofness? What do you wear and how long have they lasted you? That was another quality that I saw was rather poor.
I've had a pair of Red Head Snake Boots for three years. Before I had never had a pair last six months. They're all hot and I've never tested them, but I don't like to get in the Georgia woods without them.

Love my Chippewas
I have a pair of chippewas, but the rear seam split shortly after I bought them, and Gander Mountain doesn't take defective products back. They look new and have very few miles on them, it's unlikely I'll get a strike in the heel, but I can't trust such poor quality!

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.