Using a handgun at night

long450

Does anyone use a handgun with red dot sight at night? If so, how does it work for you? I am wanting something that is quick for acquisition when walking along or riding in the side by side.

Does anyone use a handgun with red dot sight at night? If so, how does it work for you? I am wanting something that is quick for acquisition when walking along or riding in the side by side.
What do you need protection from first? Walking, riding in a side by side, at night, is there bears/lions there or human?
Jill and I have several EDC pistols which we carry and in our vehicles. We have "Red Dots" and Micro Laser Sights on our pistols.
Our smaller SemiAutos have just Laser. The Sig 226 has Remo and Green Laser and the 1911s have Red Dots and laser. Basically double sights.
Realistically if needed for self protection you would be so close to a threat that any sights are not used. Point & Shoot!

Have a Ruger Mark II with laser grips and use it all the time. Great investment on that 22 LR. Take it raccoon hunting all the time as i can place the dot right where I want the bullet to go and it goes there. Works awesome for in old buildings, pipes, combines, etc…. The Streamlight light laser combos for under the barrel for semi autos also work well for nite plinking or big critter protection.

It is not for protection, just quick target acquisition for pigs picked up by headlights on the side by side that are out foraging. I have a TC 357 max that has a pistol scope, but it is not quick target acquisition. I have a Glock 40 that i am thinking about put a Trijicon RMR on. The pigs will be illuminated by the headlight.

I have been shooting dot equipped pistols for a long time, most in USPSA Open class. If you are a fundamentally decent pistol shooter a dot can really help in low or inconsistent light, and it will help speed AND precision. If you aren't a decent pistol shooter it will help you miss faster, and a glock trigger doesn't make anything easier.... Watch your zero distance or maybe better to say zero your dot and then shoot it in 10 yard increments out to whatever your max range is, most people are shocked at how far off line of sight the bullet will get in just 10 yards.

For quick use for pigs/racoons from a side by side, I've moved towards an AR pistol with eotech or aimpoint. It is much easier to get on target and much better for longer range (50 yard plus distances with moving targets from a moving side by side). Suppressed makes it even better

I would also suggest a mounted light to your pistol or AR, whatever, if used at night. A headlamp is great for walking around but when you go to draw and fire, your stance may change the area of illumination because of how your head moves. With a mounted light, the area you want illuminated will be illuminated regardless of what your head is doing.

I was hesitant to adopt red dot sights for pistols, especially when the earlier RMR's were having trouble handling recoil with their battery contacts. Since then I have become a believer and set up all my handguns with red dots, CCW included. A red dot on a handgun at night is great because it is easy to pick up, but you still need to have a good illumination system to see your target. If you are putting it on a handgun, I would suggest a good weapon mounted pistol light to go with it, assuming it is legal to hunt with in your area.

Acquiring the dot when you draw the pistol is a little different than getting on your irons but not difficult. It will take some practice to get accustomed to.

Also keep in mind that any open reflex style red dot sights have an exposed emitter which can get dusty, muddy, snowy, etc. If you are driving down a dusty road or in a dirty environment I would look at ones with enclosed emitters. Holosun HE509T-RD X2 comes to mind.

12ga 000buck in your wallets flavor of semi auto with a lazer AND flashlight is going to do a little better from a moving/slowing down SxS. Not saying that a pistol can't kill them but at 30-50yds in poor lighting I'd rather have a scatter gun. Olight makes a really nice flashlight/lazer and there are many companies that make barrel clamps for accessories for shotguns. Just my .02

Burris fast fire 3 it auto adjust to light condition. If your dot is to bright you won't see anything but red. I used one for a year or so hog hunting. Then I realized I just look down the barrel and shoot and took it off. With the dogs I didn't like being focused on a dot and not everything that's going on.