Night hunting question.. not for the thermal users.

I have successfully used a cheap movement activated white light for years. The hogs and other critters get used to it very quickly and don't spook when it comes on. Buy a cheap solar powered light with a built-in rechargeable battery from Harbor Freight, etc. I like the LED area lights and not the spotlights.

When you mount the light to a tree, bush, post, etc. make sure to point the white light away from where you will be sitting, or it will blind you. I always mount 2-3 lights facing different directions to make sure at least one light triggers. If an animal approaches straight into the light, most will not trigger. To trigger, the animals must move across the sensor (side to side). I use an illuminated reticle on the rifle scope. You sit in the dark listening for their teeth crunching the corn and the light to alert you.

I have used two 12 volt 10 watt led light mounted on top of 8' Tee posts. Battery powered, solar charged. Photo cell turns the lights on at dusk and off at dawn. I tried red lights, hard to see a black pig with red. Tried green, almost as hard to see at 100 yards. Went back to white. If one of the parts goes bad, you just change the part. Battery is the most expensive part. Put the lights on you side of the feeder and either side. Lights things up and blinds at the same time. If the pigs are there and hungry they will come in! Neighbors trapping and dog hunting can sure slow hunting down.

Feeder lights are the best, but I have a Streamlight Gamespotter green light. Works well out to at least a hundred and fifty yards when used with a conventional rifle scope. I have used some red lights and they spook some pigs. My AR-15 is in 458 Socom, 1x6 Burris scope, Streamlight Gamespotter green light and a white light (for blood trailing).

My buddy and I used green lights mounted on the rifles. Mine was Orion and could touch easily 150-170 yrds. Longest shot was around 80. Hogs never even bothered by it. Scope was old Nikon Buckmaster 3x9x40. No problems aiming at all. One shot behind the ear-pig down on the spot.
Were you hunting from a blind? Stalking? Were you scanning constantly with the light see if you could see a hog? Not sure how that works.... how did you know there was a hog to light up?

Last edited:
Feeder lights are the best, but I have a Streamlight Gamespotter green light. Works well out to at least a hundred and fifty yards when used with a conventional rifle scope. I have used some red lights and they spook some pigs. My AR-15 is in 458 Socom, 1x6 Burris scope, Streamlight Gamespotter green light and a white light (for blood trailing).
Check out my feeder light. It's a game changer !!
HOGFADER.COM

I have used two 12 volt 10 watt led light mounted on top of 8' Tee posts. Battery powered, solar charged. Photo cell turns the lights on at dusk and off at dawn. I tried red lights, hard to see a black pig with red. Tried green, almost as hard to see at 100 yards. Went back to white. If one of the parts goes bad, you just change the part. Battery is the most expensive part. Put the lights on you side of the feeder and either side. Lights things up and blinds at the same time. If the pigs are there and hungry they will come in! Neighbors trapping and dog hunting can sure slow hunting down.
Yes, that works if you leave it there for an extended period of time and the hogs become accustomed to it. My light is for those who want to set up and hunt that night without spooking the pigs. HOGFADER.COM

Sorry jaustinhogfader, but bad English drives me nuts. We're = we are.

"We are you hunting" in your post makes no sense. "We are you scanning" makes no sense.

Sorry jaustinhogfader, but bad English drives me nuts. We're = we are.

"We are you hunting" in your post makes no sense. "We are you scanning" makes no sense.
I actually have an excellent command of the English language after writing engineering contracts for over 35 years. I believe that was the text editor modifying what I had typed for some reason. I haven't run into that previously. That being said, I find it curious that someone has the time to proofread forum threads for grammatical errors when auto correct often modifies words without it being noticed. Thx for paying such close attention and yes, you can get one of my awesome feeder lights
HERE
If you were to get one of my lights, you will find that we're working very hard to provide a quality product. Thx again !!

Last edited:
I actually have an excellent command of the English language after writing engineering contracts for over 35 years. I believe that was the text editor modifying what I had typed for some reason. I haven't run into that previously. That being said, I find it curious that someone has the time to proofread forum threads for grammatical errors when auto correct often modifies words without it being noticed. Thx for paying such close attention and yes, you can get one of my awesome feeder lights
HERE
If you were to get one of my lights, you will find that we're working very hard to provide a quality product. Thx again !!
Yes, autocorrect drives me nuts. I always have to read what I typed and correct the autocorrect changes. I also wrote technical test reports on aircraft evaluations for 44 years. The reports get reviewed for grammatical errors at several levels of management. So I'm very sensitive of grammatical mistakes when I read anything. I've been seeing a rash of bad grammar on this forum lately and just couldn't help commenting this time.
Most common mistakes:
Their, they're, there
Than, then
We're, were, where
To, too, two, 2
Your, you're
sale, sell, sail

Last edited:
For our night-time varmint and hog hunting we use a LED spotlight w/motorcycle battery using a red gel cover (theatrical). It works well out to 100 yards or so, and scope is used on 4-power for best light transmission. Can't afford IR scope on meager retirement.

For our night-time varmint and hog hunting we use a LED spotlight w/motorcycle battery using a red gel cover (theatrical). It works well out to 100 yards or so, and scope is used on 4-power for best light transmission. Can't afford IR scope on meager retirement.
I hear ya. However, you don't need IR 'night vision. With one of my lights, red or green, you can set it up wherever you expect the hogs to be, like a feeder or baited spot. Then you're using your rifle scope as you would during the day.

This video explains my light, mounting kit and shows the slow fading effect. RED, GREEN & IR !!

Last edited:
Yes, I am a sponsor on this site and I do want to offer a way to easily take more hogs. I designed this system for us. I am not a guy who wants to use a $4000 thermal setup to kill 20 pigs. I just want to be able to throw out some corn on any given weekend and hope hogs will show up without spooking them. It's worked so far.. find out more about my light at
HOGFADER.COM

Now... let's keep the conversation going !!!
I'm in TX, am older and need the brightest lights possible. But want them to come on slowly so not to scare them. I kill tons on hogs on my deer feeders.

Recent Posts