Night hunting question.. not for the thermal users.

Jaustinhogfader

If you hunt hogs at night over a feeder or baited spot, what optics do you use and what light do you use? Feeder light, gun mounted flashlight, post mounted light? Red, green, IR?

Red light won't spook critters as long as you ease down on them slowly. I use one for night varmints. I also have the Subzero Green light but like the red light better. Get the most powerful one you can. You will still be range limited but brighter is better.

Red light won't spook critters as long as you ease down on them slowly. I use one for night varmints. I also have the Subzero Green light but like the red light better. Get the most powerful one you can. You will still be range limited but brighter is better.
I've used a green light on my .270. I have lowered it very slowly on the hog and have not spooked them. But, that is at 75 yds max. My buddy usually spots for me with NV while in the blind and watching the feeder. He will let me know when pigs are at the feeder. But, if I'm hunting in the blind by myself, that approach is a PIA. I don't enjoy looking through a NV scope constantly. That's why I designed a feeder light to illuminate the animals at the feeder without spooking them. I can put it up in the afternoon and hunt that feeder the same night without scaring the hogs. I've had great results.
I also designed an IR version that has red led alert lights on it that tell me when there is movement at the feeder.

Yes, I am a sponsor on this site and I do want to offer a way to easily take more hogs. I designed this system for us. I am not a guy who wants to use a $4000 thermal setup to kill 20 pigs. I just want to be able to throw out some corn on any given weekend and hope hogs will show up without spooking them. It's worked so far.. find out more about my light at
HOGFADER.COM

Now... let's keep the conversation going !!!

Here's the ad I have on Facebook. I hope you all will take a look.
Screenshot_20220625-120430_Facebook.jpg

For the last 15 years we have been using Laser illuminators and our scoped rifles for night hunting. It's a laser green flash light where the beam doesn't spread. Let's say that I'm on 6 power setting on my scope for sub 200 yards I adjust the beam width for just slightly wider than my field of view

just a cheaper example. Not what I have.

I use the fox pro light it mounts to any scope has red, green or white light and an adjustable field of view. Good for at least 200 yds

• Hunt when it's not too cloudy to take advantage of the moon. Specially during the 8 nights before full moon, the full moon night and the night after full moon.
  • Use a scope with GOOD glass. Yes, should be expensive. Lenses should have coatings for the best light transmission rate.
  • Use the largest possible objective lens. 56mm best, 50mm not bad.
  • Don't use too much magnification not to loose light on the ocular. Maximum 8x for a 56mm objective lens or 7x for a 50mm lens.
  • Hog size animals can be easily shot on this conditions up to 100 yards, if animals are on an open area. Closer distance better.
  • No need of illuminated reticle if you use a thick one like German 4. Avoid thin target shooting reticles. If you decide on using an illuminated reticle use it in the minimum power or with a well-used battery to avoid getting dazzled.
  • Don't use any light during the previous hour to allow your eyes to see in the dark. Any light will destroy the substance your eyes produce to see in the dark. Only exception is red light.
  • If you plan on using a flash light be sure to aim the right spot before turning it on and shot immediately or the animal might run before you have the chance to shot.

Enjoy it!

• Hunt when it's not too cloudy to take advantage of the moon. Specially during the 8 nights before full moon, the full moon night and the night after full moon.
  • Use a scope with GOOD glass. Yes, should be expensive. Lenses should have coatings for the best light transmission rate.
  • Use the largest possible objective lens. 56mm best, 50mm not bad.
  • Don't use too much magnification not to loose light on the ocular. Maximum 8x for a 56mm objective lens or 7x for a 50mm lens.
  • Hog size animals can be easily shot on this conditions up to 100 yards, if animals are on an open area. Closer distance better.
  • No need of illuminated reticle if you use a thick one like German 4. Avoid thin target shooting reticles. If you decide on using an illuminated reticle use it in the minimum power or with a well-used battery to avoid getting dazzled.
  • Don't use any light during the previous hour to allow your eyes to see in the dark. Any light will destroy the substance your eyes produce to see in the dark. Only exception is red light.
  • If you plan on using a flash light be sure to aim the right spot before turning it on and shot immediately or the animal might run before you have the chance to shot.

Enjoy it!
Excellent advice. I can tell you have done this before

My buddy and I used green lights mounted on the rifles. Mine was Orion and could touch easily 150-170 yrds. Longest shot was around 80. Hogs never even bothered by it. Scope was old Nikon Buckmaster 3x9x40. No problems aiming at all. One shot behind the ear-pig down on the spot.