Which lead free bullet? Mth, raptor or lrx

Definitely search Hammer bullets on the forum, they are making good mono metal bullets in the right alloys, meplats and weights for a given twist rate.

Thanks for the plug. We have a 150g that will stabilize well in the 9 twist. Everything looks good for us to start taking orders next week. I am not sure if that will fit the op time frame. We would love the opportunity to whack some pigs. We don't have those in MT.:D

Steve

Ok I got some data in front of me. Our 155g .284 is designed for the 9 twist to have an SG of 1.44 @ sea level This is slightly marginal at sea level. Any elevation gain will make it better. We also have a 177g that is designed for an 8' twist which will have an SG of 1.4 @ sea level.

Steve

I went with 7mm 135 grain raptor, one of the sow about ~230lb was hit dead centered guts broad side ~2600fps upon impact. The sow dropped upon impact then got up for about 10yards before expiring. Entrance hole was too large to even comment, never seen a bullet do this. Exit was about nickel sized.

Guide commented since lead free took over, they spend more time tracking pigs even though many were heart/lung shots with mono bullets. Most clients take shots under 100yard with popular lead free otc rounds.

Hello,

I'm going on a hog hunt soon and got 155 grain mth and 135 grain raptor on hand and local store got 145 grain Barnes Lrx. Which bullet should I use for large hogs? Haven't shot any lead free bullet yet, maybe next weekend after I load up the cutting edge bullets.

Shooting a 284 Winchester, 26" barrel, 9" twist and 7mm Remington magnum, 24"barrel, 9.25"? twist. Both shoot under moa.
No disappointment with 168 vld Berger bullets on deer, elk and rocks at long distances. Mono bullets are new to me. Going to hunt in ca condor range.

Thanks.
I've shot literally truck loads of hogs including some very large boars with a dozen different bullets over the years and I have yet to see any bullet work as well on them as the Peregrine Plainsmaster. I'm completely sold on the performance of these bullets after using them on a couple of dozen large animals here at home and in Africa.

https://www.peregrinebullets.com/plainsmaster-reloading-bullets/

Their rep in the US is Hermann Wiedeman and you can get them from him directly.

[email protected]

I went with 7mm 135 grain raptor, one of the sow about ~230lb was hit dead centered guts broad side ~2600fps upon impact. The sow dropped upon impact then got up for about 10yards before expiring. Entrance hole was too large to even comment, never seen a bullet do this. Exit was about nickel sized.

Guide commented since lead free took over, they spend more time tracking pigs even though many were heart/lung shots with mono bullets. Most clients take shots under 100yard with popular lead free otc rounds.
Sadly I'm not surprised in that as I think most of the monometals available today are poorly made and tend to punch straight through with little or no expansion.

Glad to see you had better results with yours.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.