Which lead free bullet? Mth, raptor or lrx

theodoreh

Hello,

I'm going on a hog hunt soon and got 155 grain mth and 135 grain raptor on hand and local store got 145 grain Barnes Lrx. Which bullet should I use for large hogs? Haven't shot any lead free bullet yet, maybe next weekend after I load up the cutting edge bullets.

Shooting a 284 Winchester, 26" barrel, 9" twist and 7mm Remington magnum, 24"barrel, 9.25"? twist. Both shoot under moa.
No disappointment with 168 vld Berger bullets on deer, elk and rocks at long distances. Mono bullets are new to me. Going to hunt in ca condor range.

Thanks.

I'd go with the Barnes bullets.

IMO, there is no "magic" bullet for hogs. I've killed them with FMJs, Core Lokt's, Fusion, Nosler, etc. The trick is shot placement. Go for head, neck, or shoulder shots and you should do well. If you go for center mass, you will hit the intestinal track, and have a hard time finding the hog.

Cool, My current set up has taken bull elk over 900 yards with 168vld, most shots I take are behind the shoulder on the lower part. I'm just worried about penciling pigs from switching over from Berger to mono bullets for longer shot. Air density is a bit heavier from 8500' for elk down close to sea level for hogs.

I already got 135 grain copper raptor on hand and will try them first. It got a large plastic tip so I expect a good hydraulic shock from them. Otherwise I would try the Barnes 145 Lrx, they are half the price!

Raptor hands down. I've shot all of them at hogs and the raptors are by far the most effective. They are simply amazing. Never thought there would be a better bullet for pigs than the Barnes in my.223 and 458 socom, but dam the raptors are bad ***

Raptor hands down. I've shot all of them at hogs and the raptors are by far the most effective. They are simply amazing. Never thought there would be a better bullet for pigs than the Barnes in my.223 and 458 socom, but dam the raptors are bad ***

I think that just about anything would be bad *** in a 458 SOCOM! :) I'm waiting on mine to come in.

Ya that is not a fair test just for that reason. The 100gr raptors are a great way to to test it hem because as much as I love the blk it is not the cannon people say it is. The raptors perform exactly like they advertise. I was able to take a large doe this year with it also. Shot angle was terrible but didn't look that way bullet worked perfect. Travelled from behind the rib cage all the way through. Made a huge mess. Base exited and petals where lost in the mess. I can also say they are the most accurate I have ever shot. I'm getting .39 inch five shot groups form my psa 16 inch ar. Got it on first load ladder to.

Another option is the GS Custom 284130HV065 or the 284116HV171 for shorter range use. I would definitely pick these over the barnes, slightly different design concept compared to the CEB, both probably would work. The HV bullets tend to have a lower minimum impact speed requirement than some of the others.

Definitely search Hammer bullets on the forum, they are making good mono metal bullets in the right alloys, meplats and weights for a given twist rate.

morning, I shoot barnes bullets, I like barnes bullet, barnes bullets r very accurate.

I have never had a problem with barnes bullets. I shoot other bullets, but barnes

r my #1 choice. every type of huntable game in texas, I have killed with barnes.

say what u want to about barnes. I have shot raptors in my 223's and 243's. favorable

result's. they r hard to gauage when seating the bullet.

I SHOOT BARNESlightbulb

Cool, guess they all work. My twist stability is on the marginal end at sea level, 8" twist would give comfortable stability for the 7mm 135 grain raptor.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.