Skinning knife?

esshup

I was doing a mental checklist the other day on what I still need to get for the Wy. trip and one of the things is a skinning knife. I've been making do with some other knives, but I REALLY need a good dedicated skinning knife. I usually will skin/butcher at least a couple of deer/year, and some years it's in the double digits. So, needless to say, one that will last a few years and keep it's edge is a requirement.

What other knives do you guys use to skin/bone-out deer and elk in the field?

Thanks

A fillet, boner, and two skinners.

These are Green River trade knives. Very soft steel and easy to sharpen. I always carry a stone if it is a big animal to be dealt with.

They will do every think from buffalo to elk to antelope to deer. But not much use for bullfrog legs.

Greenriver.jpg

Here are my favorite field and butchering knives. The one on the left is the best field knife I've used. It is a Cold Steel Master Hunter (MASTER HUNTER) The other are HIGH dollar butcher knives.....actually they're just inexpensive Chicago Cutlery knives - one boning knife and a slicing knife.

All have the characteristics that Buffalobob described....softer steel that takes an edge and sharpens easily.
knives.jpg

knives

Gerber shorty and pixie are by far the best knives I have ever used. They have been discontinued for quite some time but you can find them on ebay if you look.

blipelt

For years I have used the same setup Hired Gun shows above. I'm pleased with it and no complain. Excellent product. This year I bought this knife down below which is better steel than the previous one. Both knives can be sharpened to razor sharp but the latest will hold an edge longer. I have no used it yet (the new one) but I expect it to be real good.
They're made by SOG and called the "Hunter Revolver Rotating Fixed Blade Knife HREV-7". They retail for $120.00 but do a search and can find them for $64.95.

x0tu75.jpg

Here is a video of the serrated version without a gut hook.

YouTube - SOG Seal Revolver Sierra+Cuchillo

Skinning with a knife takes too long and resembles work. I pull the skin off with a truck. Works really good on elk too. It takes about 5 minutes to skin a deer or elk.

We've been using a cable and a rock for about the last 25 years, but I bought this kit this year at the Shot Show. Looking forward to giving it a try. It also shows the preparation steps.

The 10 Minute Deer Skinner

BTW never listen to Eaglet.:D

+1 On truck!

That is the only way I had seen it done tell I was 13..

If your backpacking then I use a CUTCO Cutlery: Product Details the drop point straight edge one. My wife bought if for me and wow.

When it get dull send it back and they will sharpen it again for $6.00.

It has skinned 9 deer and boned out 5. I only use it for skinning and boning due to the sharpness. I will not use it for gutting, way to easy to cut a finger really bad real quick..Use my trust pocket knife for that:)

Skinning with a knife takes too long and resembles work. I pull the skin off with a truck. Works really good on elk too. It takes about 5 minutes to skin a deer or elk.

We've been using a cable and a rock for about the last 25 years, but I bought this kit this year at the Shot Show. Looking forward to giving it a try. It also shows the preparation steps.

The 10 Minute Deer Skinner

BTW never listen to Eaglet.:D

I use a golf ball instead of a rock as I never seem to be able to find the right size when I need one, golf balls are always the right size,remember to stick one in your pack.

I use my 30 yr old Schrade Old Timer Sharpfinger. Its carbon steel blades gets and stays sharp easily unlike the sstl blades that are so popular today. Ive had it so long the leather case wore out and I bought three replacements off eBay for a few bucks. They otto last me til I am 90 or dead.

I've always been a fan of "Case" knives because my grandpa was. I've used a case XX changer to field dress a deer and it worked pretty well. As far as a fixed blade goes, I just bought a knife from Savage Arms called the "hunters edge". It's a very nice little package because it has a saw, serrations, guthook, and plenty of ravor sharp edge. I haven't used it yet, but I'm hoping to this year.

I use a golf ball instead of a rock as I never seem to be able to find the right size when I need one, golf balls are always the right size,remember to stick one in your pack.

I've thought a golf ball was too small. We've been using a rock about halfway between a golf ball and a tennis ball in size.

I bought the 10 minute skinner. It's got everything built in. Looking forward to trying it out.

For a knife, I use a Browning FDT. Best folding knife, in my opinion, for field dressing and prep for skinning.

The area that we're hunting in will require boning out the deer and packing it out on our backs. The terrain is too rough for motorized vehicles, and it's also too rough to drag it out field dressed....:( I'll look into some of the suggestions - Thanks! I have a set of knives for butchering, but nothing for skinning. I like the Rapala fillet knives for boning.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.