Knife sharpening?

People can ruin knives in a hurry with those if they don't know what they are doing but I suppose that is true of any sharpening device.
LOL....want to smoke a blade....go ahead and make a mistake with the wheels on a bench grinder motor. No way would I ever touch it with a good knife.

LOL....want to smoke a blade....go ahead and make a mistake with the wheels on a bench grinder motor. No way would I ever touch it with a good knife.
The wheels I'm talking about would take a complete idiot to ruin a knife on them a card board wheel with jewelers rouge doesn't do much than polish the blade I've built knives for years and that is the best final edge I have ever seen I can sharpen all my wife's kitchen knives in about 30 minutes when I'm done almost scared to let her use them they are so sharp. David

The wheels I'm talking about would take a complete idiot to ruin a knife on them a card board wheel with jewelers rouge doesn't do much than polish the blade I've built knives for years and that is the best final edge I have ever seen I can sharpen all my wife's kitchen knives in about 30 minutes when I'm done almost scared to let her use them they are so sharp. David
Im a complete idiot then maybe 5-10 times over. I know the wheels and I know what happened when I used them. I got them because they are supposed to be so awesome and easy. I'm glad you are able to use it. I know a couple guys who use stupid expensive flat stones all guru like....nope not me I can only use them and the wheel one direction and Im all over on consistency. Mine had a little bit of grit you add to the wax on one side and rouge on the other. I tried it numerous different ways and ended up with a new cheap set of house knives for hunting camp since I ruined many of the ones I had in the hunting gear. I have the grinder on the shelf, all turned around so it turns away from the on/off switch.

I use mine with the switch In front of me holding the blade edge down at around 20 degrees I run 5 passes per side then 4 then 3 then 2 and one on both wheels when I'm done they will shave the hair off your arm from one end to the other in one pass honestly the best and easiest thing I've ever used I was at basspro in Springfield where a man was set up charging a dollar to sharpen your knife after he was done I went home and spent 28 dollars and bought me a set and haven't looked back that was in 1990. David

Lots of good options mentioned above. Work sharp Ken onion edition gets my vote. It's very simple to use and you don't need a lot of skill to get a great edge like you would using a stone. The work sharp is extremely versatile and gets knives very sharp and it isn't time consuming. There's nothing you can sharpen using it. My only knock is that you aren't able to use it in the field with you.

I saw someone mentioned a warthog. I have used this before and I think they do a fantastic job of maintaining an edge, but from my experience, not the best for making or recreating an edge once it's lost.

I think The work sharp is the best overall knife sharpener for the money.

A ceramic wheel turns in water and you lay your blade on a guard that holds the right angle and water keeps the knife cool.
Saw one at a trade show and it is nice but expensive

Here is one I have looked at for a couple of years now and it works just like the Tormek but not 775.00 just for the unit and you have to buy tools to make it work.

A lot cheaper and works just like the Tormek

Here is one I have looked at for a couple of years now and it works just like the Tormek but not 775.00 just for the unit and you have to buy tools to make it work.

A lot cheaper and works just like the Tormek
They make the TORMEK Sportsman that is a lot cheaper than the $700.00 one, I think you can get it for about 425.00 and comes with stone and everything needed to sharpen knives and ax.The Tormek is on a whole different level than the Rikon and Grizzily and other Chinese knockoffs.