Knife Sharpener

lefty15

Good evening everyone I hope you all had a Merry Christmas!! I am looking to get a knife sharpener that does a great job sharpening all my knives from kitchen knives to my thickest hunting knifes. I have a Lansky right now and it does a good job but it just takes so much time to get the job done. I was considering a V-Sharp knife sharpener WH Sharpeners | V-SHARP | Lansky | DMT | Spyderco | Accusharp which has decent reviews or an electric knife sharpener. Has anyone used a V-Sharp and what is your opinion, and what have you used for electric sharpeners that do a good job.
I find myself lately with very little down time so I am looking for something that saves time but does a good job.

I've tried all kinds.

I keep going back to a wood block covered with leather and that covered with 800 grit.

A piece of smooth tile covered with the 800 grit works well also. Good for scissors also.

Good evening everyone I hope you all had a Merry Christmas!! I am looking to get a knife sharpener that does a great job sharpening all my knives from kitchen knives to my thickest hunting knifes. I have a Lansky right now and it does a good job but it just takes so much time to get the job done. I was considering a V-Sharp knife sharpener WH Sharpeners | V-SHARP | Lansky | DMT | Spyderco | Accusharp which has decent reviews or an electric knife sharpener. Has anyone used a V-Sharp and what is your opinion, and what have you used for electric sharpeners that do a good job.
I find myself lately with very little down time so I am looking for something that saves time but does a good job.

I had the same issue with all of my knifes and bough a Work sharp. it is a great little electric sharpener and is very fast. There are other models that you may like better. I chose the one that you can set the angle of the edge. So look at all their models not just the one I have the link to.

FREE SHIPPING — Work Sharp Ken Onion Blade Grinding Attachment — For Use With Item# 41587, Model# WSSAKO81112 | Blade Sharpeners| Northern Tool + Equipment

You need to practice on some kitchen knifes first before you go to the custom hunting knifes.

J E CUSTOM

I have the edge pro apex . Check out the you tube videos. Once I get them sharp I just keep touching them up with my dexter diamond hone. My wife hates it every time I do the kitchen knives she is walking around with bandaids on fingers yelling at me the knives are to sharp.

Work sharp. They are fast and work quite well. Especially for us that are challenged when it comes to putting a good edge on a knife. Only problem I have with mine is everyone brings their knives for me to sharpen.

Work sharp. They are fast and work quite well. Especially for us that are challenged when it comes to putting a good edge on a knife. Only problem I have with mine is everyone brings their knives for me to sharpen.

L:DL! A couple of friends did that when I first got mine; they now have their own. :cool:

I watched the video on the Work Sharp by Ken Onion. I do have 1 question for those who have one. I have various hunting knives from a buck knife, puma knife and a knife a friend gave me which was customer made and is very thick and long. Will this sharpener sharpen blades that are very thick?
Also thx for all the replies I appreciate them!!!

I watched the video on the Work Sharp by Ken Onion. I do have 1 question for those who have one. I have various hunting knives from a buck knife, puma knife and a knife a friend gave me which was customer made and is very thick and long. Will this sharpener sharpen blades that are very thick?
Also thx for all the replies I appreciate them!!!

The answer is "yes". However with any knife - you must get the blade to have some relief first before putting on the final edge. By this I mean the thick part needs to be thinned so that you can get it thin enough to add a razor sharp edge.

The old timers always went at their blades with a course stone (It is still the finest way to get a truely sharp knife). First thing was to get the blade some relief - then they put a final edge on it. You can do just that with this but I will say that your first couple of goes at it it will improve with practice. Should this not make any sense - feel free to PM me and I will write out the long version.

I have one of the sharpeners we are discussing. It is OK but it will not compare to the results using a hand stone unless you fully understand what it takes to be able to shave with something as thick as an axe after you have sharpened it.

I had the same issue with all of my knifes and bough a Work sharp. it is a great little electric sharpener and is very fast. There are other models that you may like better. I chose the one that you can set the angle of the edge. So look at all their models not just the one I have the link to.

FREE SHIPPING — Work Sharp Ken Onion Blade Grinding Attachment — For Use With Item# 41587, Model# WSSAKO81112 | Blade Sharpeners| Northern Tool + Equipment

You need to practice on some kitchen knifes first before you go to the custom hunting knifes.

J E CUSTOM

Just got a Work Sharp Ken Onion edition for Christmas. I have already run out of knives to sharpen. Does an incredible convex edge. Have ordered the diamond belts to sharpen my ceramic kitchen knives as well as a couple ultra fine belts just for showing off. I have tried MANY different sharpeners over many years and never had anything like this. You will not regret buying this sharpener.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.