Chainsaw Sharpener

idcwby

Had a buddy show me a video of one of these and have been confused ever since on how they work. I don't think they would work on a normal chain because I don't see how they could. Interesting scam possibly?

Ya, I've been seeing that, don't know, sharpening the tooth on a curve from the top makes the front and back lower than the middle so no tooth bite and it's hitting the rakers and the tooth at the same time so they'll end up the same height I would think also leading to no bite BUT I like the idea of just pushing the bar into a stone for a second and having a razor sharp chain just don't think that's happening!!

I saw an infomercial for these like ten years ago and couldn't look away, like a car wreck, sparks everywhere. Didn't realize they were still around.

Filed a few chains.....that might be a way of keeping your riders down as the teeth ware out.....but not gonna sharpen
any chain I have worked on....as a chainsaws chain needs sharpened from the inside to the outer edge....and if the outside corner of the tooth isn't sharp...use a knife..it might be faster to cut firewood....
My little husqy been opened up for air intake and exhaust....its loud....but for an otherwise stock 359...it will run a 28" bar as fast as you want.....just keep the teeth out of the dirt...

That's part of proprietary kit made by Oregon chainsaw company called the Powersharp system. You have to buy the bar, chain, and sharpener. The chain is not the same as a normal chain. The cutting edge is actually a chisel shape on the top of the cutter and the cutter isn't shaped like a normal chain cutter. Oregon advertises that you can buy the kit for quite a few brands of saws but I've never tried one myself.

Concrete will work too.
No jigs, just a set of files for my different chains.
just keep the teeth out of the dirt...
LOL
You can hear a dull saw, it loads differently.
I hear guys buzzing away at the same cut and I want to sharpen their chain just to shut them up.
Neighbor behind me hires a tree service to remove two 60' trees, either sweet gum or maple. Two trucks, six guys and it takes 'em a week. Lots of dull saw sound too.

About a month into my yearlong logging career, I thought I was the bees knees on filing a chain. Sawing on the landing with a skidder side and yarder side both bringing in trees, me getting buried and panicked, thinking "I'm going to get the whole operation shut down"! No time to file or sharpen anything!!!
Then 'ol Ernie comes up. He's the current boss' father. Seems ancient. Moves really slow. Hunched over. Smoking a cigarette with an older Stihl 066.
I'm thinking, "This Guy??!!" Who the heck is this guy? Little did I know.
He climbs on top of a tree, sticks his log tape in one end and proceeds to continue to move really slow, marking measuring and eventually sawing into some logs. Every few minutes, he's stopping and taking a few strokes with his files. He'd been watching me look like a fool, thinking there's no time to tune up my chain. Without looking up, he calmly, almost sweetly mutters, "Always time to file your chain".
I went back to using my chainsaw to burn through the wood, muttering something about old people not knowing that I was going be here for the rest of my life sawing up this stack of wood and generally feeling sorry for myself. When I turned back towards Ernie, he's filing his chain away from the landing by the fire. We're caught up. Wood's all sawn. I'm not sure what happened.
Without looking up I hear that same little phrase coming from the area by the fire, "Always time to file your chain." The man was (is??) a legend in that area. Learned to file a chain from the stock-saw champs of his day. The rest of the time, I spent with my mouth shut and ears open! Tried to soak up everything he did. They all used a round file and kept the rakers filed down. They ain't afraid to stop and file often. Take three or five strokes off each tooth. Filing a tooth that ain't completely hammered is much easier than letting it get beat to hell then trying to tune it up. Keep em sharp and outta the dirt.
Well, now my fingers are tired. That was a whole lotta typing for saying almost nothing! Sorry for the long read....

I have a buddy that uses this system he said it works good. I never did see him use it though. Every time he hires me to cut trees I do all the cutting. It seems 20+ years of me sharpening with a file jambed into a chunk of stick works pretty good.
I have to agree there is just something about the sound of someone cutting with a dull chain that just irritates the sh#"t out of me.

I hit the teeth with the round file at a minimum every tank of fuel. Hardwoods sometimes 2-3 times between fill ups. Like has been said, you can hear/feel when the edge goes away.

Actually from what I can see this grinder should work just fine - if you buy the bar and chain that it was designed to work with. Unfortunately it looks likes the bar and chain are designed to work on smaller saws like you use for home and garden stuff, not logging or firewood cutting.

The reason it works is because the cutters on the chain are nothing like a standard chisel edge, round cut chain that most people use.

1591723054079.png

The rest of the time, I spent with my mouth shut and ears open!
Wisdom I wish I could have imparted to the much younger me.
As a kid, one of my jobs was sweeping the floor in a fabrication place. When they finally let me actually touch steel, they had me drill a bunch of holes in a painted steel plate. Drill dulled and I didn't know any different. This tall, skinny self-described "hillbilly" named Earl took a few hours and taught me how to sharpen and center my drill bits. Then he taught me how to use a punch and drill squarely. I'm forever grateful for those lessons.
My pedestal grinder mostly sits now, but I still insist on keeping the wheel dressed properly.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts