Stihl 391 Chainsaw

My old Stihl MS 310 but the dust a few weeks ago. Replaced it with a new 391. It definitely has more compression than the 310. Honestly, I can't tell the difference with or without the Compression release.

Can this tree reach any buildings or house?
On the Sthil 084 AV , ya can easily tell if ya didn't press the comp release

Ethanol will ruin the diaphragm in the fuel pump and the fuel lines will basically melt and turn to a gummy mess clogging up the fuel system.

Boat motors are the poster child for ethanol damage (here in the South near the Gulf). Huge double engine offshore fuel system setups ruined by ethanol costing hundreds if not thousands of $ to fix.

A chainsaw/weed eater/pressure washer/etc are just as susceptible any time the fuel is left to stand for longer periods of time.

Sound like your saw is new so it should start.Most my saws have a fuel bulb, pump few times, full choke til it pops, then 1/2 choke and it starts.To get more leverage, set your choke,decomp,with foot in handle, pull or try both hands on pull.Another is with knee on top of Sawyer leverage.Im a young 60 so I can drop pullout if a flood as happens sometime, or my kids floods my autotune, I might have pull plug and dry out with few pulls

Len,
Stihl Manual - you MUST use non ethanol gas. Its in their manual. I have several. Hard starting was understatement. Switched to non ethanol gas otherwise known as recreational gas, the hard starting went away. Stihl has told me the seals and gaskets are also affected by ethanol. Saws run incredibly better on non ethanol gas.

I always had carb problems until I switched out gas years ago.
I make my own gas mix. I use 100 octane Airplane fuel non ethanol and mix with 89 octane non ethanol to get 94 Octane and then mix High grade Racing 2 cycle synthetic oil.
I have several Stihl saws and several Poulan. The Poulans always start the first pull. The Stihl - if you miss the "Burp" minds well take the plug out, dry it and start over.
I also can't keep pulling due to my neck.

Bottom line: IMO ethanol wrecks small engines performance.
I think that the US is the only country that uses ethanol. European cars can't run with ethanol because it eats away gaskets. Also other countries are much smarter that the US government.
US Tax payers dollars$$$ to subsidize Corn Farmers then pay extra to make ethanol and then pay extra in the gas mix then ruin all your engines.

Make sure ya Scotch Brite those flywheel magnets, takes about 15 minutes to do, for a full power spark, easier on coil too. She should fire thru a missed start but, not thru a foulD spark plug, that ya gotta replace! Also, easy tip for keepN up with those Weyerhaeuser clearcut gangs,just order up the 462 Rescue saw D-shaped starter handle, like $10 bucks. #1128 195 3401, way easier to start saw then. Use the saws weight, gravty start, makes a quite difference , on a 12 hour day.

Last edited:
Find a guy and do some trading, maybe some gunsmith work or other.Trade saw out for one that's easier to start?
Great idea. We have (6) chainsaws and the Poulans start easy and run great. I bought a Stihl MS 170 for light work and it was on sale, a MS 250 for heavier work and a I got a great deal on a MS391. I have a 20" bar and three new chains and two new 25" bars and chains. The saw new with tax is $800+ at ACE. I bought this from a guy that collects chainsaws and it was new for $450.00. I wanted a bigger saw for some big trees on my property and I also was going to get access to about 30 Cords of wood from Oak trees. Had a deal with another fellow that we would go haves on the wood. He had the trees and I had a new 37 Ton Log Splitter. When I went to look at the trees more closely, they were covered with Poison Oak Vines. I said no deal. I am highly allergic to poison oak or Ivey. You can't burn it because if you breath the smoke it will get in your system. Your saws, splitter, and tools will all have the poison oak sap on then and will be there for years.
My friend can start a Stihl with no issue. I hope to get him to help me.
Stihl are very good. You just have to have the knak to start them.
Thanks

I've always used non ethanol gas on my Stihl 362 and mix my own. I have used the premix gas bought in a can and it works well also. I'd try that decompression trick. But I've always pulled until you hear it "burp" and then set down to half choke. Usually starts within three or four pulls.

Ive had many stilhs,good saws
IMG_2490.jpeg