Favorite hunting knife

Gerber folding gatorback
image.jpg

Man I've come to be a huge fan of the boring old fixed blade buck 119.

Nothing pricier than that…cuz I'd weep if it got lost 🤣. These things do happen.

Also a big fan of an unknown model gerber folding skinning type knife, short and deep blade, heavily curved. I find gerber, for the price point, is the right balance of easily crazy sharp, not hard to sharpen, and edge retaining. BUT they are brittle, hard but not tough. Easy to chip if used for rougher work like splitting a sternum or separating joints, etc…

That's where the buck 119 is great for me. A softer steel isn't always a bad thing. It's easy to sharpen and tough as nails, not brittle or chippy at all. And a long and beefy blade like that can be used for real heavy stuff.

so within my self imposed budget, buck for heavy duty, gerber for skinning and more precise work.

What is everyone's go to field dressing knife mine is the buck 102 . Good luck to everyone who is hunting
We have over 100++ knives. The several that we like the most.
Original Marbles - it is on the picture with the deer antler. Super Sharp and only used when going to Safari Hunts.
Also bring the Gerbers - the Fat Short one is GREAT for skinning the Other one is good for Dressing.

Attachments

• Dressing and Skinning.jpg
    Dressing and Skinning.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 30
  • Favorites.jpg
    Favorites.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 28
  • Knives.jpg
    Knives.jpg
    112.9 KB · Views: 34
I carry in my backpack a 60+ year old folding buck, sheathed 6" straight buck (USA) and a Havalon (surgical blades) for skinning. One of the buck and the havalon are always with me when I hunt. My pocket knives are always Kershaw (USA or Japanese)
Love the puma, just out of my price range

We have over 100++ knives. The several that we like the most.
Original Marbles - it is on the picture with the deer antler. Super Sharp and only used when going to Safari Hunts.
Also bring the Gerbers - the Fat Short one is GREAT for skinning the Other one is good for Dressing.
The old marble knives and the Western's where great knives before the sold the names and went overs seas to be made