Favorite Hunting boots

ricka0

Condition: Montana Fall - temp from 40 below to 40 above zero. Growing up hunting in Montana, I usually had a good pair of leather boots which worked as long as it was below freezing (so they didn't get wet) and didn't get too cold. Rubber boots worked in all conditions and have many disadvantages; steel shank, less traction, more weight, less flexible.

brands? Types? recommendations? where to purchase?

I have a narrow heel and high instep.

Danner makes my favorite waterproof/lightweight boot. dont remember the model name. these are leather/cordura with gortex liner. they also make several with varying degrees of insulation and many widths and outsoles.

In Seattle goto REI

in Portland goto their factory outlet

try sierratradingpost.com

I would reccommend different boots for diff temps. the temptation would be to compromise the fit by adding/subtracting socks.

Insulated all leather Danners, with full length tongue and laces all the way to the toe. Don't know what they are called? About $250. Good for walking around.
I'd get the lug sole, and some Gokey's waterproof dressing.

Good hunting. LB

For my money and feet, Meindl boots work best for me, depends on how much you hike though. I typically put on about 3-10 miles a day. You can get them from Cabelas. Specifically sounds like the Canadian model would work best. Good luck.

I currently use some LOWA hiking boots when I am rough terrain, they can't be beat. They are a german made boot designed for mountain climbing and can be bought with varying amounts of insulation. Full leather upper and inner lining. Very flexible and warm. I have the mid rubber sole that brings the rubber up about 1" from the sole, and also liked the full rubber boots that have rubber all the way over the toe, but they were more expensive. I picked them up at the local back country mountain works.

Many thanks for all the help.
>>I would reccommend different boots for diff temps. the temptation would be to compromise the fit by adding/subtracting socks.

We have Chinook winds :
The most dramatic example of the Chinook winds occurred on January 15, 1972 in Loma, Montana. The temperature rose from -54°F to 49°F the greatest temperature change ever recorded during a 24-hour period.

Danners, several different boots for varying conditions. Danners have been comfortable, durable and although I have never had to use, I've heard their customer service is good.

For very cold weather I like chippewa arctic 50's. My feet have never gotten cold in 'em.

Been very happy with the Cabela's brand Trail lites. Gortex lined that actually keeps your feet nice and dry. For really cold, their insulated versions would be worth a look.

Personally, I use Sorels when thing get white and chilly. When that is not warm enough, time to work on the reloading indoors.

Jerry

LOWAs.....they've become unofficial must-have footwear at work over here. Superb.

Danners....make my feet sweat; like wearing a polythene bag on each foot.

MukLuks are the warmest boots you can buy. I have never had a boot that would keep my feet warm if it fit tight to my feet. Mukluks fit almost loose allowing for extra lining or whatever you prefer. Also, one pair/one brand have never fit the bill for 2 different seasons. Try emm, you will not be sorry.

I have a pair of green suede Berghaus Hikers that i bought in 1997.
They have 200grm Thinsulate and a Goretex bootie are well worn but SOOOO comfortable.
I bought their replacement a year ago but they sit in the cupboard unworn.

Ian.

"I mean't to shoot the pike but the duck got in the way"

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.