Favorite Hunting Story

Randy in Va

I waited for him to show himself.
He did.
He died.

If you guys don't get off your asses and contribute to the contest, my sorry excuse wins $100!

This is a short one, but better than Randy's!
grin.gif

Derrick, my brother, killed a Black Bear on the gravel bar a couple years ago while Roger was stalking this bear with his bow. The bear was moving further away from Roger and toward Derrick. Finally Derrick stood up and the Bear looked up and suddenly STOPPED, turning his head, looking for cover he spotted Roger, looked the other way and saw he was caught dead to rights and a long way from cover! This took a couple seconds is all. The bear instantly knew he was in trouble. Derrick raised his 300 Ultra and dropped the hammer with one under the chin................ He thought!!

The bear turned and did a 180 so fast, Derrick never even seen him do it in the scope. The bullet run up his arse and his guts were blown out the massive hole in his chest instead.

I've got some other fav's too.
grin.gif

Pulled up in the truck to park 40 minutes late to start and was VERY irritated by the wife taking WAAAYY too long to get ready for the morning's hunt.
We were getting the muzzleloaders loaded and ready when I looked up and saw 5 deer feeding in the alfalfa field only 250 yards away. We were usually in the treeline half-way down the field before daylight, which would have put us within 100 yards of these deer at this moment. But here we were standing out in the open by the truck staring at them instead of aiming.
We tried to get closer but two of the deer kept looking up at us. We decided to stop and stay where we were at to avoid spooking them. The wife used the hood of the truck as a shooting bench and we waited for them to work closer. After about 20 minutes they started working into a patch of prairie grass so we decided it was time to shoot or leave. I estimated the distance to be 150 yards to the largest doe in the group. The wife took a good long aim and squeezed off her shot. pop! NO BANG!!! I quickly handed her my rifle and she settled in for her shot again. She took a good 10 seconds before firing. The doe dropped in it's tracks.
The shot was just under the spine. The bullet's destructive path tore through both arteries running down the spine and the shock of the 240gr Hornady XTP did it's job well. I had told her to aim there to compensate for drop but it hit right where she was aiming. We paced the shot off at 164 yards. She did it with a T/C Encore 209x50 Rifle with the factory fiber optic open sights shooting the aforementioned 240gr Hornady XTP over 2 Pyrodex 50gr pellets.
And yes, we had fresh steak and eggs for breakfast that day.

My dad hated horses, so to get him to go on a decent elk hunt took a lot of talking. The first day of the hunt my buddy Rich and I saddled horses while dad and grandad cooked breakfast. As we packed lunches and got ready to go, dad stood in the tent, by the stove, in his underwear sipping coffee. "Cmon dad, lets go" I said. He said he hadn't ridden all the way in there just to ride somemore and he wasn't getting on another horse until we rode out. "Okay", I shrugged, and the rest of us rode out. After a long day in the saddle we hadn't so much as seen an elk. We were surprised, to say the least, when we rode into camp at dark to find dad cooking dinner, with a cow elk quartered and hanging next to the tent. About 10:30 A.M. he had been sitting on a stump in front of the tent within reach of the coffee pot when a small group of cows stepped out of the timber across the creek, maybe 50 yards away. He slowly picked up his old Enfield .303 and dropped one. The story doesn't end there. At the end of the week, when I packed dad and grandad out, no one else had even seen an elk. I resupplied and met Rich back in camp. We hunted up until the next to last day before we saw anything. He had first shot, so when we rode out of a patch of timber and saw a band of elk, with a small 5 point bull a hundred yards above us, Rich eased off his horse and tried to slide his rifle out of his scabbard. I say tried because it wouldn't come out. He had a fella build him a nice custom scabbard from some soft glove leather, and that soft leather just bunched up behind the bolt, holding it tight. Frantic, he gave the rifle a mighty jerk and it came loose all right, it flew right out of his hand and down the hill it flew. He had the funniest look on his face when he looked up at me. He took one step off the trail on that steep hill side, and down on his butt he went sliding like a toboggan through the dry leaves after his rifle. That was more than the elk could stand and they stampeeded off across the mountain side through a quater mile long aspen grove. I did the only thing I could think of at the time; I put my heels to my horse and went thundering down the trail after them. It was a hell of a chase. The trail was muddy in spots with the remnants of an earlier snow, and both horse and elk were going for broke. As we raced down the mountain the elk started crossing the trail in front of me. They wanted to get into the timber below the trail. At one point I had cows jumping the trail so close in front of me I thought we were going to collide. I pulled my .357 from the holster and drew the hammer back as the bull came closer and closer to the trail. About that time we dashed back into the timber. The mud was flying as the elk and the horse all hit the skids at the same time. Without thinking I had holstered the revolver, baled off my horse and grabbed my rifle, as everything slid to a stop. I was standing on the trail in front of my horse as the group of about a dozen elk milled around maybe 30 yards up the hill from me. I guess they were confused. All at once they turned and started walking past me single file. At the shot the cows all ran off, but the bull just kept walking maybe five steps and fell over behind a log. The shot was short and the elk was a raghorn, but it was the most exciting chase I've had yet!
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif

In my favorite "hunting" stories, they were shooting back
shocked.gif
, so I'll leave this one alone for now.

FWIW, I think the ones you remember most are those that occur when you're in the bubble, whether it's birds, rabbit, or a long shot with a rifle. When the stars align it is memorable.
cool.gif

[ 02-09-2004: Message edited by: MAX ]

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.