Have you Heard a Funny Hunting Story

Thibodaux was visiting with his friend Boudreaux one day. Boudreaux asked Thibodaux what he had been up to lately. Thibodaux says, "Well, I just came back from Lafayette."
"What were you doing in Lafayette?" asked Boudreaux.
"I went up dair to buy me a new hunting dog," replies Thibodaux.

Boudreaux says, "Mais, Thibodaux, what's wrong with the hunting dogs from around here?"
Thibodaux says, "Well, this hunting dog can walk on water."

Boudreaux laughs, "Thibodaux, you got fooled. Hunting dogs can't walk on water."
Thibodaux says, "I'm telling you. My new hunting dog can walk on water. You want to see?"
So Boudreaux and Thibodaux go out on the lake with Thibodaux's new hunting dog. Pretty soon, Thibodaux brings down a duck. The dog immediately walks out across the water, retrieves the duck, and jumps back in the boat.
Thibodaux turns to Boudreaux, "So what do you think of dat?"
Boudreaux replies, "That dog can't swim, can he?"
Now thass funny! I didn't see that coming.

The fox story reminded me of this story!

As I get into this story……you'll quickly realize that I was much younger and much tougher back then…..and maybe not so bright! 😂

It was the year of the big Yellowstone Fires, a friend of mine and I decided to make a backpack elk hunt up Crystal Creek that drained into the Gros Ventre River.

Crystal Creek is were the famed Wyoming guide/outfitter, Gap Puche had his camp. His camp was about 8 miles in…..we went about 2 miles beyond his camp. As we were passing his camp, some hunters saw us and wanted to meet the backpackers that were going past the camp. One said that he just wanted to shake the hands of the guys backpacking in saying, that horseback trip nearly killed him and he couldn't believe that we had walked in. We never told him how tired we were…..and faked doing great pretty good!

Perhaps the most insane part of this was…..we left our camp at about 3:00am to hike back to our truck, meet someone (the guy that would later build my .375 AI) else and get some more gear…..then return to camp!

Our gunsmith (also a guide) friend left after only two days, as he was having problems with a shoulder that he had recently injured in a fall!

Several days into our hunt, my buddy and I hiked all the way to the head of Crystal Creek were there's a large meadow!

In route, while walking along a very steep, deep cut formed by Crystal Creek, I spotted something lying in the sunlight on the rock shelf of the other side of the creek! I looked through my little "el cheapo" binoculars and realized that it was a coyote…..lying, asleep with his back to us about 80 yards away.

I quickly sat down (this was before I carried shooting sticks) put the crosshair of my Leupold 2-7 scope right between his shoulders! When I sent a 270 grain Hornady SP from my now retired .375 H&H his direction…..I saw hair and leaves explode into the air beyond the coyote! The coyote never moved! My buddy while watching through his binoculars said " you just killed a dead coyote"! This is the only "funny"part of the story! 🙂 It was about that time that the coyote's right hind leg raised, "jerked" a little then relaxed! When we finally got to the coyote, quite a challenge in itself, that Hornady hit him right where the neck joins the shoulders. I guess that I pulled the shot a bit to the left! 😉

Now some 35 years later, this remains one of my most memorable hunt's, one of my best shots, and a great time spent with a good friend!

Oh……no elk where harmed on this hunt! memtb

1699976574792.jpeg

Last edited:
Back when I was quite a bit younger and couldn't afford very good gear. I was archery hunting and was hunting alone as usual. Well I found an area that had some elk in it. My problem was that it was late morning by the time I could hike into it. Simple solution pack in and stay the night. Well I didn't have any pack gear. But did have a pretty heavy old army surplus wool blanket an old metal pack frame, no bag on it. So rolled up the blanket with some food in it and away I went. That night I was leaned up against a big pine tree with my wool blanket and off in the distance could see a thunderstorm moving across the sky. Was perfectly clear where I was at. I thought no problem, sure glad I'm not way over there. Well remember I said I didn't have much and that included no water resistant let alone waterproof clothing. Well I sat there and watched that thunderstorm come right to me like I had a magnet on me. It cooled down considerably and poured. Of course everything I owned was soaked. Now for the funny part. I thought no problem I'll just walk out of here. Didn't take long to pack up and get ready to leave. No flashlight, and after about 4 or 5 steps I realized that I didn't know where I was at. Now if I could only find that big old pine tree. Seemed like it took me forever but finally found it. I learned that night that wool even wet still helps quite a bit. You guessed it no elk and a long miserable hike out in the morning. I'll never forget that experience and laugh at myself quite often.

Many years ago a friend of mine was in his tree stand hunting deer when Mother Nature came calling. He didn't want to climb down and then back up, so he dropped his coveralls and hung the business end off the tree stand. Finishes, gets suited up and smelled something- his 'business' never made it to the ground, but was 'deposited' in his coveralls. He never lived that one down.

Many years ago a friend of mine was in his tree stand hunting deer when Mother Nature came calling. He didn't want to climb down and then back up, so he dropped his coveralls and hung the business end off the tree stand. Finishes, gets suited up and smelled something- his 'business' never made it to the ground, but was 'deposited' in his coveralls. He never lived that one down.
Now that's hilarious. Can't stop laughing. Another reason for me to not hunt from a tree stand.