Dumbest things you have heard #2

I like to hear people say every rifle they have shoots one hole at one hundred yards with any box of factory ammo

or a 40 dollar scope is just as good as a 1000 dollar scope

or when people say they sight there rifle in at 25 yards and can hold dead on any animal out to 600 yards.

Every one of mine will do that!! I can prove it too!! Take it out there, fire one shot and I will get 1 hole!

Years ago I sold guns in a large store in Jackson Hole, Wyoming. I had all kinds come in there from the big city to tell me all kinds of hunt fish stories.
But this guy from some planet came in to ask me which 9x19 ammo he should carry for
use against a ****ed off Griz bear.
I stare at him in utter amazement as his wife listened intently to his prowess as he told me about how good a shot he was as he calmly stood there and shot paper targets.
After which I gave him my best advice on the choice of 9mm for bears.
I told him pick the best quality self defence 9mm.
Then I said that way when you fire your 13 rounds around the bear you may still have one round left to shoot your self and one to shoot your wife with because this bear is going to be a tad upset and do nothing to stop this bears attack!
I also mentioned where this 9mm will be found when the bear was all done with him, his wife kind of chuckled at this but her hubby knew better.
He laughed at me stating the 9mm was more than adequate for any bear!
At which I bowed to his knowledge and experience and told him good luck and it was nice to meet you.:rolleyes:

You meet all kinds a a gun shop counter , you have to learn how to smile all the while laughing inside.

Was told by a US Marine that "The bullet from an M-16 drops below the barrels line of sight and then rises up again because of the twist of the rifling and velocity."

I asked him if the reason why is "hits low" at close distances is due to the sights being a few inched above the bore. He said no......:D

Definatley the dumbest thing i ever heard was the other day, stopped by wally world to get a pig tag and heard the guy working the regester tell this to the man if front of me in line. Keep in mind we are in southern/central Ca, kern county to be exact.

Man in line: I need some .223 to sight in my new AR.

Walmart empolyee: Well all i have is this federal stuff, but the problem is that its not lead free.

Man in line: Why is that a problem?

Walmart employee: Because of our ban on lead free ammo, as soon as you walk out of the store with that ammo, a sheriff can stop you and fine you $2000 for every bullet you have in your possesion.

Man in line: No ****?

Walmart employee: Yea, your better of to just change your ar upper so you can shoot this lead free .308 stuff, thats what i did.

This one is not that long ago. I'm still not convinced. I discussed this with a guy I work with, he is sure and believes this is why. 9mm use in the law enforcement.
Law enforcement stopped using the 9mm Luger because of it's high velocity they were just penciling through, not expanding. The slower they go the more they are going to expand and stop an intruder or a criminal.
Now what I know about speed and expansion is that: the more velocity=more or better expansion.

Last edited:
Here is another someone told me a few days ago.

as the barrel expands from the heat the rifleing grooves expand resulting in less of a spin and thus less aerodynamic flight and slower speed

This month has been a goldmine of material.

Saleman: Anything I can help you with today sir?
Customer: Yes there is, I want a Savage 250-3000. I tried to buy one a while back and it ended up selling for over $7,000 and I just could not go that high.
Salesman: We had one 2 weeks ago and it sold for around $999 if I remember right. The one you was looking at must of been one of the engraved ones in like new condition.
Customer: Nope it was just a plain Savage Lever gun but in .250-3000. Best cartridge ever made.
Salesman: Yes sir, the .250-3000 is a good cartridge. That was probably a Savage 99 but I have never seen one sell for $7000 before unless it was one of the engraved models in like new condition. Must of been something special about it.
Customer: There sure was something special about it. It was a 250-3000. Fastest cartridge ever built. Why you can miss a deer by this much. (Customer holds hands about 8"s apart) and still kill it. Thats why it sold for $7000. I wish I could of afforded it. Best cartridge and rifle ever built.

Salesman had to walk away fast, So did I. This just happened yesterday. You just never want to argue with someone like that. Makes you look really dumb. :) Ya just say YUP and walk away.

Saleman: Anything I can help you with today sir?
Customer: Yes there is, I want a Savage 250-3000. I tried to buy one a while back and it ended up selling for over $7,000 and I just could not go that high.
Salesman: We had one 2 weeks ago and it sold for around $999 if I remember right. The one you was looking at must of been one of the engraved ones in like new condition.
Customer: Nope it was just a plain Savage Lever gun but in .250-3000. Best cartridge ever made.
Salesman: Yes sir, the .250-3000 is a good cartridge. That was probably a Savage 99 but I have never seen one sell for $7000 before unless it was one of the engraved models in like new condition. Must of been something special about it.
Customer: There sure was something special about it. It was a 250-3000. Fastest cartridge ever built. Why you can miss a deer by this much. (Customer holds hands about 8"s apart) and still kill it. Thats why it sold for $7000. I wish I could of afforded it. Best cartridge and rifle ever built.

Salesman had to walk away fast, So did I. This just happened yesterday. You just never want to argue with someone like that. Makes you look really dumb. :) Ya just say YUP and walk away.

Wow now that takes the cake, I bet their parents are proud

Parents????????? This guy was in his 60's I would guess. He was the parent. I would more worry about the kids.

Had a guy the other day say that a .22 is sufficent for deer, and that it has a kill range of up to 5 miles.... didn't even bother arguing with the guy

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.