What is the dumbest thing?

sturner

This probably all ready been done but I was wondering what is the dumbest thing y'all ever heard at the range or gun store? People find out that I reload and shoot at distance (not extreme long distance 1000 or less) and feel the need to one up. I just look at them and think tell me a lie that I have a chance to believe please!

In the store when they ask if they can help me I usually say "no, I'll ask if I need something." I could call some gun shop employees stupid or whatever but most are just people with with an around minimum wage job, they aren't going to know everything about everything, and they will fill in information they don't know because its still a sales industry. If they give me an unwarranted opinion then I usually just say "oh umph" or something along the lines until they holster their mouth.

I need to bracket my responses.
The common dumbest thing: I shot a coyote at 600(I ask how high they held, it's always just above their back, lol) or I shot a gopher at 200 with a 22lr(again I ask the same thing)
My favourite one was a guy told me he shot a deer at 600. He held six deer high, forgot about the wind and shot. Killed the doe to the side and behind the buck he had wanted to shoot. Lol

Of coarse when you hear stupid things, one tends to make assumptions about that person, lol
When I hear something off the wall, I tend to engage that person and try figure out where it came from. If there is more and I can tell that all this it is coming from this guy, I'll act like a bobblehead doll and boogie at the first chance.
What irritates me, is the guy repeating what he heard, overheard, or read, and is now spreading it unaware of the facts. This guy may stand a chance of you can set him straight.
I guess dumb crap does not bother me that much unless it comes from my friends, because they know better, or should know better, and now are going to know better.

1. Bullets rise when they leave the muzzle

2. Luepold is the best optic ever made (don't hate me, what they should say is luepold is the only decent quality optic they ever heard of)

3. Hold (insert cartridge) at the deers back out to 400 yards

4. Sightmark are better than EOTech holographic sights bc my buddy who's logistics in the army hung out with SF guys who said so.

5. resting the barrel on some type of rest when zeroing and then saying "well that's how I've always done it."

6. 25 yard laser bore sight is ready for deer hunting!!

Yes, I know I sound like a pretentious jerk, but whatever. I'll help when I can. As soon as a dude says he's got it, I just nod and walk away.

I ran a outdoor store in Arkansas for 3 years. I have some stories for sure. The absolute dumbest thing was archery related. A small Asian man, 5' at the most, walks in when I was busy rigging a couple new bows for customers. He's looking at the used bow rack and I tell him I'll be with him in a few minutes. I had a big sign saying do not draw bows without assistance. I turn my back for a second and when I turn around he has a older bow drawn back, the draw length must have been 30" and he's standing with his arms as far apart as possible. He's straining to hold the bow , his head is between the string and riser. I tried to tell him hold on I'll help him but too late. The riser slips from his hand, sending it toward his head, the cable guard penetrates his cheek, about 2 inches below his eye. He starts yelling and jumping around as I try to get the bow off his head. Blood is flowing from his face as I get him to stop moving so I can free him from this bow. I get the bow out of his face and go to grab something to cover his wound. He runs full speed out the door never to be seen again. I turn around and one of my customers waiting for their bow says, did you f&$king see that! I was still in shock from the whole ordeal. Now years later I think about that and can laugh.

I had a lady at bass pro walk up to me, while I was buying ammo. She asked if I knew anything about guns. I said yes. She said she has a pistol that she needs ammo for and proceeds to show me with her fingers the size of the barrel!! Then asks what caliber that is. Lol

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.