What is the dumbest thing?

I have been an archer for many years. When I was in high school archers were blamed for stuffing an arrow down a .410 barrel, loading up a shell in the chamber and shooting deer that way, claiming them as archery kills. Of course this only worked with single shot .410's.

I have been an archer for many years. When I was in high school archers were blamed for stuffing an arrow down a .410 barrel, loading up a shell in the chamber and shooting deer that way, claiming them as archery kills. Of course this only worked with single shot .410's.
That thought crossed my mind back when I was a young archer as well

That thought crossed my mind back when I was a young archer as well
I think the firing of the shell would render and arrow of many pieces, flaming fletchings, and or other bad things. Doubtful that it could be done.

"Shooting 1080gr bullets. So slow you can't hear them and the piston mean I don't have to clean it"

Heard that exact statement this past weekend along with a great many other tidbits from a fellow at the public range near my in-laws. I replied for fun, "I bet they are slow at over 1000gr". This person also reminded me of a commonality I see in many range commandos. Why many people who seem concerned about being under gunned during the apocalypse, government takeover, etc. should really be concerned about a heart attack. Yes you have an AR with urban kryptek, aimpoint, and suppressor; my man you also have about 50% bodyfat and were a little winded coming up the 10 steps to the rifle range from the parking lot.

"Shooting 1080gr bullets. So slow you can't hear them and the piston mean I don't have to clean it"

Heard that exact statement this past weekend along with a great many other tidbits from a fellow at the public range near my in-laws. I replied for fun, "I bet they are slow at over 1000gr". This person also reminded me of a commonality I see in many range commandos. Why many people who seem concerned about being under gunned during the apocalypse, government takeover, etc. should really be concerned about a heart attack. Yes you have an AR with urban kryptek, aimpoint, and suppressor; my man you also have about 50% bodyfat and were a little winded coming up the 10 steps to the rifle range from the parking lot.
Makes me glad I got my own range so the only dumb things I hear are my own thoughts

Now
Over the decades, I've lost count of the stupid stuff I've heard, and seen, on the ranges and in shops, but one that has always stuck with me was an argument from a guy telling me I needed to move my chrono to 100 yards, because at 12 feet, my bullets didn't have enough time to "get up to full speed".

"Buy a 45acp, for it will knock a man down."

"Too fast bullets shoot right through the animal." Deep Southern drawl

"A rifle ain't goin' to shoot quarter mile."
Now that's just plain funny, I'm sure he forgot to add that the harder you pull the trigger the faster the billet comes out.

I had a rifle delivered to a local hardware store to do the FFL paper work. I was waiting for confirmation when I heard the salesman behind the counter selling a guy a 6.5 CM. He told the man " the 6.5 CM has the speed and energy of a 270 win out to 500 yards then it really comes into its own because it loses none of its energy and overtakes some of the more popular magnum rounds past 500 yards. I was picking up a 26 Nosler and I ask him " so I don't need the extra velocity of the 26? He said well first couple hundred yards the 26 has a edge but it's starts to even out after a couple hundred yards! Good to know !!

I had a rifle delivered to a local hardware store to do the FFL paper work. I was waiting for confirmation when I heard the salesman behind the counter selling a guy a 6.5 CM. He told the man " the 6.5 CM has the speed and energy of a 270 win out to 500 yards then it really comes into its own because it loses none of its energy and overtakes some of the more popular magnum rounds past 500 yards. I was picking up a 26 Nosler and I ask him " so I don't need the extra velocity of the 26? He said well first couple hundred yards the 26 has a edge but it's starts to even out after a couple hundred yards! Good to know !!
I got have one

Guy at work told me he shot an elk at 1600 yards one time. Holy **** I say. Start asking him about it. How much elevation did that take? What were you shooting? Gun? Cartridge? Load?

"Just held about 3 feet over its back" factory rifle I don't remember what "300 win mag" factory ammo not sure but I think I remember he said 180s

Well a moment with the ballistic app on my phone confirmed that at least some part was complete ********. The range, especially, the 3 feet holdover, no mention of wind. I want to laugh now remembering this encounter but im sure hes still out in the woods shooting at animals way out there.

Different guy same job. Said he bought a 300 RUM. why? "you can hit deer anywhere with it and they die" when I asked why not hit them where it counts his response was roughly that he shoots at sounds in the woods and doesn't always see the deer he's shooting. Scary stuff.

All great stuff, i recently was in a bass pro shops perusing the projectile aisle when against my will i was offered assistance. Clerk: can i help you? Me not really unless you can find the .264 140 gamekings. Clerk:eek:h, 6.5?you must be a creedmoor guy. Me: no. Clerk, 260 rem? Me : no, clerk 6.5 prc? Me : nope. Well then what? I reply 6.5x55. Him oh yea built for the 140. Then he asks what my favorite rifle is, i reply remington 760. He says yea my buddy had one, cool thing about that rifle is that the barrel angle is set so it hits at 100 and 200 yards, without any adjustments, me: silence and a smile

i know i've heard dumb stuff, but usually it's so dumb that i subconsciously erase it from my brain. or what they say is so alarming or disturbing that i run the other direction.

i do recall a discussion on a truck forum a few years ago where a guy claimed his factory sporter barreled savage rifle in a wood stock and 3-9 leupold scope would shoot 1/2 MOA at 400 yards because of the portings in the barrel.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.