Dumbest things you have heard #2

nelson

Today I was talking to this older and wiser gentleman, and we got onto the topic of explosive performance from varmit guns. Anyway he stated that the explosive reaction that say a 22-250 has on small furry things is not due to velocity or bullet construction but due to the tiny but violent vortex of wind or as he put it "tornado" that develops in front of the bullet as it is in flight that in turn spins the little furry violently and rips them up WoW what a brainiac.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

So what happens on a very near miss?

I've had more than one person tell me that a bullet burns its way through a paper target.

Back when I was in Iraq a fellow platoon member who thinks he knows a lot more then he does was trying to describe (as he put it) the "black hole" behind a .50 cal bullet to a few city guys that were taking it all in. Appraently there follows a sort of 10" wind tunnel behind a 50 cal bullet so even if you miss the target your shooting at by 5 inches the target will still be destroyed. I asked him if this phenonmenon occurs with a 5.56 to and he said no it dont just with a 50cal and bigger. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif So I guess if this is true then all you 50cal shooters out there leave a 10" hole in a paper target everytime you shoot /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Strange through with everything I shot at with my M2 if I didnt hit it...it just started going a heckof alot faster /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Might as well add some of 5.56 insights to....

Just a few of the things that I have overheard about the M-16 in my brief time in the army.
1. The 5.56 bullet is made so it does more damages by not exiting but my tumbling inside the body and having the wonderful power of going in your leg and coming out your neck.
2. The Army only has you shoot at 300meters because apparently the 5.56 hits the ground soon after. (Makes you wonder if they give the marines a different round because theres seem to be able to make it 550yds /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif)
3. The army adopted the 5.56 round because it was the most accurate and penetrated deeper then a 7.62. (Hmmm so if a 223FMJ penetrates deeper then a 308 why dont we take it down to the next step like a 17HMR and get maximum penetration)
4. The army adopted the 5.56 because it was so good at "brush busting."
These are just a few of the good ones I remember gettin a laugh at. Good luck and good shooting!

Re: Might as well add some of 5.56 insights to....

I have heard that the trajectory from an M16 rises and drops but then rises once again before dropping to the ground. I heard that from a highschool friend back when I was pretty new to centerfire rifles so I didn't have the confidence in my knoledge to call BS. But I think now I would.

Brush Busting... now there is a well heard myth/story all over the North East...

bla bla bla.. get a really big gun because it will "brush bust" better than the smaller ones...

I can't tell you how many time I heave heard guys a the check stations in PA talk about how they made the shot ( exactly where they aimed) after hitting several small saplings while the deer was running through thick brush...

I typically acknowledge them by saying, ... "well thats exactly why you should shoot a 30-30 or a 35 Rem..." ... " good thing you had one" Then they always smile and give me pat on the back and say things such as, "don't worry son, you'll get one of these trophy bucks someday"... Then I reply with "yeah, I can hardly wait to kill one that big..." as I stare with amazement at the fork horn 1.5 yr old buck....

Ric, I don't know why but I couldn't stop laughing after that post /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif I think I know some of them old men.

[ QUOTE ]
I stare with amazement at the fork horn

[/ QUOTE ]

I know what you mean. I see that all the time from the ladies. But I'm used to it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Old men? Youngsters have their share of stupid remarks.

Good hunting. LB

who mentioned old men? And who is a youngster?

i used to spend all fall in sask helping rancher/outfitter so i could stay and hunt deer for 5 weeks myself.although not legally a guide, i would help with the hunters when possible.we would drop a hunter off and all they had to do was stay in the blind and don't wander around,of course they do.i went in to find him when he didn't show and after figuring out which trail was the most recent,he'd been out of the blind 3 times,i followed and finally found him most of a mile west of where he should have been.i gave him a candy bar and a soda,always makes a guy feel better,and after a few minutes i asked if he was ready to get back for supper.it was 2 hours after dark now. i turned and started to go when he asked me where i was going. i said back to the trail and he tells me i was heading in the wrong direction! he had never been there before that day,we took him in the dark,was lost for several hours and he tells me i'm headin in the wrong direction.

I was once told by a guy at a sporting goods store that he once shot 2 whitetails at 1000 yards with his 7mm Magnum. He claimed they were fighting and he shot one and then the other. He said they each dropped straight down at the shot because when the bullet got there it was already mushroomed because bullets mushroom in flight, so the farther you shoot, the more energy they hit with because the bullet is bigger.

Of course I didn't call him on it because it was about 10 years ago and at that time I believed everything he said.

X3M

I once ran into a guy out hunitng and after checking out my 338 Edge and asking lots of questions asked me if I used it to shoot long range. I of course said yes and he replyed, " What like 300-400 yards?". I told him more like 1000 or futher. He told me,"Son I've been hunting for 40 years and I'm telling you shooting that far just can't be done unless your a Marine sniper. I saw this video of a Marine sniper shooting a bedded down whitetail buck at 950 yards, now if you were that guy, maybe." I told him I had in fact seen the video myself (laughing to myself) and while it was impressive I was pretty sure that I could dupicate those efforts. Then he really got wound up and laid down the law about military snipers,"Son there is just no way a guy can shoot like that without all the training those guys get and even then there is only a small handfull that can shoot like that". I finally had to tell him he was probably right and left. He clearly did not recognize my voice on the video.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.