What is the dumbest thing?

I had a guy tell me if I sighted my gun in at 25 yards it would be on no matter how far I shot. I tried to be as polite as possible and tell him that was not correct, so then he told me he knew a guy that sighted all his guns in at 25 yards and he killed a deer every year. I then replied maybe he shoots them at 25 yards. He got mad but he left me alone after that.

I had a guy tell me if I sighted my gun in at 25 yards it would be on no matter how far I shot. I tried to be as polite as possible and tell him that was not correct, so then he told me he knew a guy that sighted all his guns in at 25 yards and he killed a deer every year. I then replied maybe he shoots them at 25 yards. He got mad but he left me alone after that.
That is about true, if you keep it under 200 yards

Dumbest thing I've done was I had just put a new barrel in a 22/250 worked the load up [see avatar] I just had to have it cerakoted sent it off when it came back sat in the safe for a couple of weeks went to range to sight it back in touched it off blew the muzzle brake off split the barrel at the threads
The guy who did the work left a patch in the brake and I didn't check to make sure the barrel was clear
Bet that never happens again

Back years ago before scopes clicked we all thought you had to tap on the turret to get them to move
I still have a habit of doing this, they told us to do it in Sniper School several years back. It is still taught in the Army with some optics. I've actually seen it needed before. Adjust the scope and nothing happened, shot to same POI. Tapped turrets lightly with a Gerber and it moved. It was that or over compensate and bring it back to intended setting.

I still have a habit of doing this, they told us to do it in Sniper School several years back. It is still taught in the Army with some optics. I've actually seen it needed before. Adjust the scope and nothing happened, shot to same POI. Tapped turrets lightly with a Gerber and it moved. It was that or over compensate and bring it back to intended setting.
When they issued our rco (aka trijicon acog) part of the training was to tap the turrets with a piece of brass after making an adjustment. Always made me wonder how that optic made it through.

Should have taken a picture of it, but my hunting buddy was assisting his grandson on a junior muley hunt.
He gets his deer, brings it to camp.
I am now looking at 6" of goo where the hit was made behind the shoulder. I asked if that was the entrance side. He said yes.
I was wondering what he was shooting. 243 was the response.
I'm thinking it was dynamite.
Hour later, it was skinned and there is this rib cage with 3 entire ribs missing in that crater.
I asked to see his ammo.
Winchester 243 varmint ammo.

I hear and see all sorts ridiculous bs at my range but the one thing I can always count on is someone looking at my box of handloads and saying that looks like a 6.5 creedmoor. I usually keep my mouth shut but when it's 195s hanging out of a 28 nosler it's hard not to chuckle a little.

The guy that shows and shoots five times that a pie plate covers it up and says that will kill a deer at a 100
Then he shoots one calls he got one down and you go tracking ask him where was it and it was 250 out
Really and he can't understand why it's not DRT!
Give me a brake

A couple weeks ago I had a guy behind the gun counter tell me he shot a deer at 6 yards with his 6.5 Creedmore, and because when referring to the bullet, "it hadn't got it's energy yet" it broke the deer's back leg.

My question is, At what distance does a 6.5 Creedmore "get it's energy"?

ClearCreek

A couple weeks ago I had a guy behind the gun counter tell me he shot a deer at 6 yards with his 6.5 Creedmore, and because when referring to the bullet, "it hadn't got it's energy yet" it broke the deer's back leg.

My question is, At what distance does a 6.5 Creedmore "get it's energy"?

ClearCreek
at what altitude and temperature...it makes a difference you know!

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.