Favorite hunting knife

I have several custom damascus steel skinners that are great, but I got one of these and a bunch of spare blades and I use it more than any of the others now. There are at least 4 different blade configurations available and I keep a number of all of them ready to go. Relatively easy to sharpen and relatively long lasting edge. I can recommend them, hard to beat the value for a Cold Steel knife.

Kabar 1236 usa, had it forever. Lost it a few times in the field, back tracked and luckily found it.

Attachments

• Kabar1236usa.jpg
    Kabar1236usa.jpg
    697.3 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:
Ruana knife. My dad convinced Rudy to make two when I was born. Those were probably one of the last knives he ever made. In the field I use it on elk, and I use it exclusivley for skinning in the barn.
I'm going to retire it from field usage as losing it would be a tragedy. Its a skinner and he put a deep belly on it, but it make short work in the field on an elk.
Deer, other size i use a havalon

I am pretty maniacal when it comes to knives, it's just a passion of mine - ever since I was small.

I have a bunch, and it's hard to pick just one - so many have sentimental value as well - gifts and stories...

Anyway, here is the current favorite;

hanger steak n heart.jpg

image0(1)~(1).jpg

image1~(1).jpg

I came up with the concept and my friend Clint turned it into reality for me - everything I wanted in a hunting knife and nothing more!

I'll throw in a vote for New West Knifeworks, I have one each of their Forager and Outfitter knives and both are excellent with maybe a slight preference to the Outfitter as the grip just feels better in my hand. S35VN seems to be the most practical of all the "super steels" as far as durability, edge holding, and ease of sharpening.

The old marble knives and the Western's where great knives before the sold the names and went overs seas to be made
My first hunting knife was a western. It's retired and needs a bit of cleaning but still a great made in USA knife. I had a guy make the sheath.

Attachments

• 813FD049-DF6E-4D98-8797-A002ED5C56CF.jpeg
    813FD049-DF6E-4D98-8797-A002ED5C56CF.jpeg
    479.7 KB · Views: 25
Been using the Cutco the last few seasons, been very happy with it.
The cutco with the double d blade is a gutting MONSTER. I field dressed/broke down close to 20 deer before I noticed a small amount of edge loss and that included splitting the sternum.

I'm a knife maniac, especially customs these days. I became a steel snob and have a hard time buying mass produced knives anymore. I'll see if I can dig some pics up to share