Short Barrreled 300wm

frostop

Anyone running a short barreled 300wm-22" or so? Just wondering how well something like that does, how much velocity is lost etc.?
Would probably add a brake, wanting a lighter weight backpackable rig that would give me a little more than the .06.

Gary

Anyone running a short barreled 300wm-22" or so? Just wondering how well something like that does, how much velocity is lost etc.?
Would probably add a brake, wanting a lighter weight backpackable rig that would give me a little more than the .06.

Gary
have you given any thought to the 300 wsm I think you would be better off going this route if you want the short barrel

Last edited:
I have a 20" barreled 300wsm with a slightly shorter throat (.050") then my long action and it hasn't broken in/sped up yet. It's 200fps slower than my 26" barreled gun. That is with a TBAC Ultra-9 suppressor as well which tends to speed things up a bit. So if the accuracy holds as it speeds up that will probably close to around 150fp difference. I also built a 22" Proof barreled gun for a buddy and he is shooting 2850ish (he hasn't finalized a load) with 200ge Barnes LRX bullets and H4350. I shoot 215 Bergers 2960fps in my 26" barreled gun 2960fps with R-26.

Last edited:
I have a 300 WM 22" with brake. It's custom built. I went this way because I was looking for a lighter more maneuverable/handy rifle. There is some velocity loss vs say a 26". Do t care about the specs at all. I bought this rifle for a specific purpose, it's a tack driver and takes down everything that is shot well. It's my favorite rifle for all big game.

Had one 15-20 years ago. Did it for handiness. With that said I d not do another. Lost 80-100 or so fps, much more muzzle blast and not outperforming a standard case (06) enough to justify IMO.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.